Bush Craft / Survival - In Films?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
I was wondering if anyone else knew of films that featured some aspects of Bush Craft / Survival in?
I'm sure most of them would be more about Survival though.

The best one i can think of is:
The Edge (Anthony Hopkins)

Not sure:
The Hunted
(Tommy Lee Jones, Benicio Del Toro)

Anyone got any more?

One's that actually show a technique in use.
I wouldn't count this:
Alive
It's about survival.... but they just.. eat each other :)

---------------------------------------------------

Other's Recomendations
Cast Away
(Tom Hanks)

Jeremiah Johnson
(Robert Redford)

Man in the Wilderness
(Richard Harris)

Cheers
Carlo

J

Jamie

Hey Giancarlo

Should the last one (Alive) be moved to the Food and Drink section????? :shock:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
There is Cast Away - some use of the fire plough if I remember correctly. Incidentally, since watching it I always carry an ice skate and a basketball! :lol: :lol:

There was some wilderness living in Jeremiah Johnson - story of a mountain man in the Rockies.

Dave

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
cheers, good ones there.
Can't believe i forgot "Cast Away".
Going to add them to the orig post as they pop up (hope that's ok)

What about "Deliverence"? Never seen it... heard about it though... anything good in that (before it goes pear shaped and strange?)

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Man in the wilderness is loosely based on hugh Glass.

The edge is a fav of mine - and Jeremiah johnson.

Not really a bushcraft film but Northwest passage and Last of the mohicans or even dances with wolves are also up there.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I'm going to have to check this one as it's been years since I saw it, but I do recall a few relevant bits in "Man Hunt" starring Walter Pidgeon. Unfortunately I might be remembering parts of the novel on which it's based - "Rogue Male" by Geoffrey Household - and I can't be certain that they're all in the film version. There's one section, for instance, where the main character digs a shelter to hide in, and ends up making a weapon out of a cat. Must count as a survival skill!

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
As i looked up castaway my boy sam insisted on watching it, i agree that the skates were real handy but i want my very own wilson, might even get him tattoo'd...... :roll:

the little 'un suggested rambo (he's young bless him) but on reflection the hiding up a tree a spearing old porkie might actually work :wink:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
the trouble with survival techniques is that they will always be closely linked with the military in my search for sensible information i have one video that is worth looking at:

don't laugh :oops:

"SAS escape, evasion, survival"(castle home video)
it is presented by and information is given by Barry davies BEM, you know that ex sas chap of TV.

if you can ignore the Military influence on this video(pretty darn impossible, and the dodgy acting there is actually a fair amount of information, like collecting water, and subjects are covered like colecting safe edible plants etc.

if you don't mind a fair bit of editing there is stuff worth watching but it's more "survival" than "bushcraft".

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Giancarlo said:
I was wondering if anyone else knew of films that featured some aspects of Bush Craft / Survival in?
I'm sure most of them would be more about Survival though....

Not sure:
The Hunted
(Tommy Lee Jones, Benicio Del Toro)

I posted some screen grabs from the hunted over on BritishBlades, it shows Benicio Del Toro using a hand drill to start a fire, to make a forge, to forge a knife... plausible, but certainly not possible in the tiny time frame we are asked to believe it took place in.

Check it out....
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1872

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
the opening scene from brother bear(i know it's a cartoon ) starts with the elder striking flint's to make fire i have 8 year old daughter you got to go see these films :-D

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Deathhunt with Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin is loosely based on a true story. The Mad Trapper of Rat River is a story that makes fascinating reading. Albert Johnson built a small cabin and shortly afterwards complaints began of traplines being raided. Mounties went to interview him and wound up in a firefight. Johnson survived being dynamited in his cabin and fled. His rate of travel ( including the scaling of a verticle cliff in the dark) exausted his pursuers. He was spotted by no less than 'Wop' May, famous pioneer canadian aviator ( and almost the final victim of von Richtofen in his final flight) and finally killed. The movie ups the deathtoll and motives, tosses in Angie Dickenson and displays every period bit of clothing, firearm and a few honest wilderness skills and tricks.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Has anyone seen 'Cold Mountain' yet? I know there were a fair few bushcraft references in the book but no idea how much of this got translated into the film...if any :)

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I saw the film, after reading the book. A lot of the bushcrafty detail is missed but the the film was enjoyable none the less. Not too Hollywood, Rene Zellweger hams it up a little bit for her character, but still comes out tops.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
no one has mentioned the other older film "castaway" (book by lucy irving) translated to film with oliver reed as the main character.

story line:
a lucy wants to live on a desert island for a year, but for some reason must be married to use the island.
she marries a bloke that turns out to be an alcoholic and womaniser.

more usefull to someone in tropical areas but some usefull stuff there!

oh and they make a washing machine with an outboard moter and an oil barrel!

other films?
robinson crusoe?

there are some that deal with pyschological issues (like any disater movie),
prehaps the odd little snippet like, crocodile dundee (and his whistling stick), ALIVE (just read the book) the andes plane disaster when they end up canabalising (ignore the foul stuff notice the moral stuff!).

there is an episode of the 1960's series "The prisoner" where patrick mac'gohan makes a boat and another when he makes a theodilite.

the problem with films is just that they are films designed to entertain the masses not minority interest groups.

the one argument for useing "rambo" is watching how he camouflages himself with next to nothing to catch his "prey" thats it....yup nothing else at all :lol:
( i realise it was set up with make up etc, but that 5 secound clip could be an example of basic camo for hunting....i may want to take that back later... :wink: )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE