Burnt out bowl

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Chaps

Though I would share a picture of a simple bowl I made. Rather than use a crook knife I burnt out the centre using embers.
I really enjoyed the process and hope to do somthing bigger next and in a more intresting wood (this is willow).
Its been finished with olive oil which really gives the blackness a shine.

002.jpg

Anybody else done a burnt out bowl? Ta for looking. Ed

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
warthog1981 made me a birch one a few years ago........I'll see if I can find a link. The bowl is beautiful and still in use.
It was a heck of a lot of work though :yikes:

cheers,
Toddy

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
That looks ace!

I done a gobblet type cup using the burning process, worked well however I had to keep blowing it to keep the embers going. After much ash in my eyes and many head rushes I got it nice and deep. I did tidy the inside up afterward with a crook knife though.

I would do it again but would do something shallower.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
warthog1981 made me a birch one a few years ago........I'll see if I can find a link. The bowl is beautiful and still in use.
It was a heck of a lot of work though :yikes:

cheers,
Toddy

It wasent birch it was beech :rolleyes::yikes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:blush: So it is........and I can't find the thread, don't suppose you can ? or do I need to do new photos ?
I'll need to clear my Web Albums though.

The bowl is lovely, I've used it to make bread, and it worked beautifully, these days it's usually full of nuts.

cheers,
M

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Thanks for the comments guys. I used seasoned wood, I think green would be more difficult.

Its different work to using a crook knife as you don't get sore hands however its a fair job blowing on the embers all the time though. I think some kind of blow poker (like Wayland's) would help. Hard wood embers are better I have a mix of Scot's Pine and Beechin the woods I go to, the Pine covers you in sparks and the ember is poorer. This method might be easier if you re making a bowl from a really hard wood then using a crook knife?

The notches on the side are where the sides burnt through, its quite tricky stopping the bowl from setting on fire. Overall its a nice technique to while a way a few hours in the woods though.

Toddy / Warthog ir'd love to see a picture of your bowl. Cheers Ed

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have one half done (Monarch's using it for school visits like Wayland does) and I stopped the edges burning by covering them in wet clay.

Your's is very neat Limaed :D

cheers,
Toddy

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi all.

This is a ladle I made about a month ago to use in my Dutch oven.

It was made from green hazel, which had been felled the day before (by local foresters doing a selective cut), and was in my firewood pile.
I did try to scoop out the bowl with a crooked knife, but this was proving to be near impossible. With the toughness of the green wood, and with only tiny amounts coming off with each scrape, I think it would have taken days to make the bowl alone so I turned to ashes from the fire lol.

Using ashes the bowl took about twenty minutes to complete, with the most difficult bit being stopping the sides burning through. This was my first effort at burning a bowl and it works well (even if it is not the prettiest thing).
The whole project was done while away camping and required the use of the following tools:
Laplander saw; small axe; crooked knife; blow poker and a small carving knife

ladleIMG_0588.jpg

Edited to add: I really like the bowl you made. It looks a bit oriental to me......I can imagine eating curry and rice from it (getting hungry now lol)

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Thanks for sharing Ray, great work. I was thinking olives or soft fruit for mine but I like the curry / rice angle!

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
The burnt out bowl is brilliant. I really like the burnt through side bit. You covered the sides in wet clay! Genius Toddy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE