Burning the tang into wood

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I am reading a lot of different stuff about this, if i heat up the tang to burn fit it into the wooden handle, is it going to damage the temper of the blade itself? If so then what alternatives are there?

Thanks

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
yes/no/maybe

Predrill the hole - I used a standard 3m drill bit, but a longer one would have made the job much easier.

Only heat the tip, the rest doesn't need to be hot. It shouldn't affect the temper of the blade itself.

wood needs to be properly seasoned. I've tried using wood seasoned at home, all attempts split. Used a commercial hardwood scrap, was fine.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
First alternative: Don't do it!............drill and file is the way to go, I've never understood the burning on thing, it takes forever and you're always prone to push too hard, thus splitting the handle........and what's the advantage of this method supposed to be, anyway?

If you mark the (roughly triangular) shape of the tang on the outside of the workpiece, stand it in the vice and drill the two sides almost to their apex; then drill the center hole and use whatever tools you have or can make to clear the excess wood from the hole...........just plug away 'till you've got the right-size hole...............don't worry about the hole being a little on the large size, a good 2 part epoxy will probably work better like this anyway!

Second alternative: Treat it as a full tang, carve the relief for the stick tang equally from both sides then glue together with or without pins lanyard tubes and even liners................It's not difficult to make this join nigh-on invisible with a little care.

I use a carpenter's handbrace with an extra long wood-bit for all my drilling, and just go at it gently..........hope this helps,......................................atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE