Burning a Kelly Dry

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I have seen one or two DIY projects and now marketed items that make use of the chimney on the Kelly Kettle and allow you to place a pot over it. My question is can you safely burn a Kelly without water or could it potentially damage the void?

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I wouldent fancy doing it with my kettle for long. The base of mine is somewhat buckled after using it as a base for a hobo stove. Now thats not a problem for the base but the kettle itself is made out of the same material.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hiya,
it may be handy to remember that aluminium had a reletivly low melting point 660 degrees C (if i remember right) i seem to remenber making it melt quite easaly at school when there was no one watching.
louis

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Well my kelly does two things at once i use a jiffy heet alcohol burner its like trangia but a littler round and a litter shorter the tangia just a little big for it or you could make your own alcohol stove to fit

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Silverback said:
I have seen one or two DIY projects and now marketed items that make use of the chimney on the Kelly Kettle and allow you to place a pot over it. My question is can you safely burn a Kelly without water or could it potentially damage the void?

:thinkerg: it´s OK if you want to fast forge something (tent pegs, spoon ) out of it. You could also hammer the cold Kelly Kettle, since aluminum can be cold forged. May take it bit longer - saves fuel that way.

If you want to keep the Kelly as a kettle you should have a fire in it only with the water chamber filled with aqua.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
lou1661 said:
Hiya,
it may be handy to remember that aluminium had a reletivly low melting point 660 degrees C (if i remember right) i seem to remenber making it melt quite easaly at school when there was no one watching.
louis
Exactly - this is why I asked the question. A Kelly is highly efficient at boiling its entire reservoir in a very short space of time, so unless you just let it boil away and top up it is only going to offer the flue vent for cooking/heating etc. over a very short period of time. It may however be useful for heating say washing up or washing water where you only need warm as opposed to boiling. I would personally like to see a warning with the commerciallly available products designed for use with the Kelly flue warning against burning the kettle in a dry state as this could result in many becoming damaged :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE