Bumped into a Badger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Just pulled into my folks yard and let the dog out the car.

Turned back to the car and there is an adult badger followed me to the yard entrance.

What a lovely surprise :D

Luckily dopey labrador didnt twig the badger was there and I hustled her through the gate closing it behind her, I have no desire to try seperating a lab and a badger.

Well the metal gate and gatepost made a bit of a clang and he was gone by the time I turned back.

Walked through the house and into the living room and Dad says "I've just seen a badger running past the window".

Now I have seen badgers often and know they are around, even gone a couple of times and sat upwind of the setts at dusk and watched them there, but to see one literally no more than 12 feet away in broad daylight was a real treat.

Surprised he was so close to the house , maybe having a rake around the sheds out of curiosity or having a go at the fruit bushes.

Usually they are very shy.

Tant

M

mikehill

Still yet to see one round here Tant ... most appear to be persecuted by morons :(

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
We have noticed similar boldness here, could it be evolution at play?

Lets say a hundred years ago badgers were treated as pests and those that had a natural shyness (due to individual variation) survived to pass on the 'cautious' genes. This perpetuates for generations, only the nocturnal, secretive (hidden setts) and cautious survive.

Over the past couple of decades, with badgers being protected, the less cautious, more bold badgers survive as man poses no threat. The more 'bold' genes are passed on.

Add to this badgers simply 'learning' from encounters that man is not threatening. If every time badger meets man it is a non-threatening event they will learn from this.

So the combined effects of Nature and Nurture. Probably affecting localised populations (where the morons do not play)

Either way a very interseting daylight encounter Tant.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You are lucky man tantalus, the only time I have seen badgers is at distance in the dark. I would like it if they became more urbanised like foxes.

Do badgers snort when they are snuffling? because I think we have had one checking around the tent at NW meet on saturday night. It will give me another reason to fork out for a hammock if it was.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE