Bumblebee rescues another bumblebee...

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
totally brilliant that like, thanks for posting it

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Great! I've never heard of that happening but perhaps with the wealth of knowledge here somebody may have heard of this?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bees can emit an "attack" pheromone. If one is injured or perceives the colony in trouble it can give off a "call to arms". That is certainly true of Apis sp. so I expect it is also true of Bombilius sp. That said the trapped Bumble could probably have out venomed the spider - they do sting and, unlike honey bees, can sting repeatedly. Honey bees and some other species also bite.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Bees can emit an "attack" pheromone. If one is injured or perceives the colony in trouble it can give off a "call to arms". That is certainly true of Apis sp. so I expect it is also true of Bombilius sp. That said the trapped Bumble could probably have out venomed the spider - they do sting and, unlike honey bees, can sting repeatedly. Honey bees and some other species also bite.

Yeah this is true :), but I never new the honey bees could bite. It's funny colonies have different personalities too, we've got three hives now and were moving them tonight to a farm until we get moved. We've got varroa treatment for when it's needed and there's some rape seed in fields around so plenty forage for them. We took a super frame of honey of the other day and ooh it was george ours honey the at still warm from the hive! Yum yum yum + toast = nom nom nom ;)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Poor spider, being ganged up on by the nasty bees! The bullies. Why can't they pick on someone their own size?

He wasn't doing any harm, just minding his own business and trying to kill and eat one of them.

;)

Great video.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Poor spider, being ganged up on by the nasty bees! The bullies. Why can't they pick on someone their own size?

He wasn't doing any harm, just minding his own business and trying to kill and eat one of them.

;)

Great video.

:lol:

I knew you'd be a bit upset. It's an amazing piece of mobile phone footage though.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

The attack scent is what stops and starts a swarm attack. One spray of the right stuff and that fella who wears the beard of bees quickly looks very silly and bumpy. Bee warned!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The attack scent is what stops and starts a swarm attack. One spray of the right stuff and that fella who wears the beard of bees quickly looks very silly and bumpy. Bee warned!

I know. I was working in a tree once and the beekeeper next door was taking honey. I got an annoyed bee under my climbing helmet which stung me. Before I got to the ground I had 4 more stings in the same spot.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its the first sting that releases the pheromone - a good reason not to slap at bees - and if you must, slap hard for a kill before they sting.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Its the first sting that releases the pheromone - a good reason not to slap at bees - and if you must, slap hard for a kill before they sting.

Very good advice, but kind of hard to put in practice when you've got a whining angry buzzing insect caught in your hair :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Granted BTDT - the one inside your combats moving North is more worrying - slap hard I tell you :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Granted BTDT - the one inside your combats moving North is more worrying - slap hard I tell you :)

Haha, I was worried I was going to get one of those, but luckily he stung me on the ankle before he got any further.

I always smoke my gloves/hands after removing brace Combe, drone cells or queen cells- they tend to get agitated and get all over your hands if they can smell it. Ours are successfully moved and should be doing really well :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE