Bumble Bees - excellent prog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Elen - I'll have a listen - must pop up a phot of our ground nesting bees at some point :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
great thanks for the link, I heard bits of that last night as was drifting off to sleep, at first I thought they were reading some of Fabre's writings. I got into Fabre via Gerald Durrell and loved his books on insects as a kid. This sort of close study of the commonplace natural world around us is what interests me most. Look forward to listening again.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fascinating listen - I must get more into the study of "wild" bees. We certainly have solitary miner bees, a variety of bumble bees as well as our two hives - they all seem to rub along together happily - along with the hover flies and other similar looking insects. I suspect our planting for the honey bees helps out some of the native bees as well - which is anice bonus

Elen Sentier

great thanks for the link, I heard bits of that last night as was drifting off to sleep, at first I thought they were reading some of Fabre's writings. I got into Fabre via Gerald Durrell and loved his books on insects as a kid. This sort of close study of the commonplace natural world around us is what interests me most. Look forward to listening again.

I love this sort of stuff too - loved his attempts at stuffing a seagull and getting his granny to give him a disecting set !!! Gerald Durrell got dog-eared and tattered through my childhood (along with Swallows and Amazons!) I need a new copy, prob Fabre as well :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I know there are some bee-lovers on the forum, if you've not already found it this programme on Radio 4 is excellent. I think we'll get the book. Must go and make sure my garden has the necessary food for them - have just asked a friend for some pussy willow whips ...

Was going to post up about this this morning but you beat me to it Elen. Good program and I really enjoyed it. Good luck with the mouse holes.

Elen Sentier

Fascinating listen - I must get more into the study of "wild" bees. We certainly have solitary miner bees, a variety of bumble bees as well as our two hives - they all seem to rub along together happily - along with the hover flies and other similar looking insects. I suspect our planting for the honey bees helps out some of the native bees as well - which is anice bonus

We need to get the loan of a hive! Planting for honeybees is good for the wild ones too. Seen several honeybees in the garden over last 10 days ... yippeee! Lots of solitary bees and bumbles here too, Hubby knows lots about them but would like to learn beekeeping, would love to have a hive. Got just the spot for it/them too, although it is next to my campsite in the woody bit at the bottom of the garden! Now to find a beekeeper who will do the loan ...

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Elen,

Its not really a "loan" :). You can offer a beekeeper a site for their hives (beekeepers are always looking for new sites or "out apiaries"). The beekeeper will do all the hive maintenance and supervise the colony. They would need to visit once or twice a week to check for disease, add supers, extract honey, control swarming etc. Believe it or not farmers pay for the privilege (it increases pollination on their fields), but most domestic customers just offer a corner of a garden or field - they usually even get given some honey.

Alternatively, get hubby to do the beekeeping. Plenty of courses around and they aren't expensive. Then buy or make a hive and off you go. It can be expensive to get set up if you buy everything ready made, but any competent handyman can make a hive and the other bits and bobs needed.

Either way, have a chat with the Herefordshire Beekeeping Association. They can put you in touch with a beekeeper or sort out a course - whichever you want. Its a great hobby and endlessly fascinating

http://herefordshirebeekeepers.org.uk/?page_id=47

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE