Bulldog Brand Nesting Billy Pots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Haggis

Nomad
Some weeks ago, for $10 at the thrift store, I picked up a 6-piece set of pots and lids marked only "Hong Kong". In trying to discover who made them, I discovered that they were in point of fact clones of Bulldog Brand Billy pots.

Since that original find, I've acquired a couple of sets and partial sets of Bulldog Brand billy pots and BB mess kit for $8, also at a thrift store; that latter looks like a boy scout mess kit, but much larger. I've also acquired a set of Mil-com Bulldog clones,,,

Does any one here still use Bulldog Brand billies?

I think they might possibly be the most practical design of any camp cookware I own,,, and I've lots of sorts of pots, pans, kettles, and boilers,,, I'm a pot junkie of the first order,,,

The BB lids make great plates, bowls, baking pans, or sauce pans. The pots, all bailed, are ideal for stovetop or suspending over a fire on a waugan stick,,, and the three sizes are quite versatile for matching the pack or the outing.

For many years I saw writings, drawings, and photos of these pots, in some of Calvin Rutstrum's books, and in Bill Mason's book "Song of the Paddle". It's great fun for me to finally identify and be using the same sort of pots as these two seasoned veterans, and to know these were the pots they chose,,,

Now, the "Holy Grail", for me, is to find a complete set "New in the box", but I'll not be hold my breath in the waiting,,,

The pots that got me started,,,

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I use the milcom version of the Bulldog set regularly.

I believe the bulldog set is slightly heavier but I'm happy with the millcoms :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have both sets.

And nope, Im not parting with them.

A pot lifter is helpful if you dont have one

Haggis

Nomad
A Bulldog Brand pot lifter would be quite a coup,,, I'll keep looking.

These older pots and their accoutrements have a greater appeal to me than most of the more modern offerings. Nostalgia perhaps in part, but there is a no nonsense usefulness about them as well.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I found a set in a caravan i bought a few years back, not sure of the branding etc. but i use it all the time. they are light, durable the lid is great as a pan or plate. size vise perfect for me just fits a gas canister in.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have a set of the mil com set I used to use the originals when I was in cubs and scouts. I have gone back to using them as they are light but still some of the most versatile cooking pots especially for the weight

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
They look like the old Gilwell set we all ahd in the Scouts, and I do recall the Bulldog brand, great kit, went on for years and did what you wanted it to do, why does so little do that ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My set (and Himself's one too) is still up the loft. Son1 cast covetous eyes over them and was told he can have them if he's a use for them.
They went out of fashion when all the brouhaha over aluminium and alzheimer's flared up.

Shame really, they were very practical, if you were careful not to stick stuff to them. That said, leave to soak and then a judicious use of a brillo pad and they came up shiny :)

M

Haggis

Nomad
Given the small amount of actual cooking I do, I'm not too fretful of the real or supposed dreadful effects of aluminum on my brain. I'm mostly using the pots for boiling water or for mixing bowls, but people must be fearful of something I suppose

Bulldog Brand did produce a nonstick version of their pots, but there are those who won't use anything nonstick coated either. It seems that every other day the all-knowing "they" tell some new food or product is bound to kill the lot of us.

I'll take my chances, enjoy this bit of historical kit, and content myself with knowing that most whatever might be cooked in an aluminum pot may be more likely to cause health issues than the pot itself,,,

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The original sets of bulldog pans go for stupid money on ebay, a couple of years back a set went for over £120

Haggis

Nomad
To put together complete sets, at less than mortgage busting prices, I've resorted to searching for parts of the complete 6 piece kit,,, a lid here, a pot there, and soon I've another complete set. Some wealthy folk collect paintings, I collect, (or accumulate) billy pots and camp cookware. (Egg cups also seem to accumulate in embarrassingly high numbers here as well,,, )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE