Bullaces

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Should be :) they're plums, and variable. Sometimes you can eat them just like sweet plums, others they're so sour that you need to cook them and use sugar.
Worth a try anyway I reckon :)
Nice find :cool:

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I think we have a patch of bullaces, dark purple and similar to sloes, but at least double the size. Ours are sweet enough to eat raw but still too astringent to eat like plums. Ours tend to dry out before frosts as we don't get frosts until much later.

As it happens we've got a pan on the stove with them and some apples to cook before turning into a jelly. They're giving off a lovely plummy aroma.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Should be :) they're plums, and variable. Sometimes you can eat them just like sweet plums, others they're so sour that you need to cook them and use sugar.
Worth a try anyway I reckon :)
Nice find :cool:
I made jam from them before but didn’t like it it tasted very tannic so this is why I’m curious iff there nice after a few frosts

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I made jam from them before but didn’t like it it tasted very tannic so this is why I’m curious iff there nice after a few frosts

The ones I had last were really nice. Sweet, tasty, not astringent at all. I didn't even try making them into jam, we just ate them like cherries.
I have had others that, well, I could have made marmalade with them I reckon.

Every tree's different.

I find that plums still on the tree, if it's not a wet frost, just seem to shrivel up like prunes, but since there's not much flesh on them they end up not so appealing.

M

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
The ones I had last were really nice. Sweet, tasty, not astringent at all. I didn't even try making them into jam, we just ate them like cherries.
I have had others that, well, I could have made marmalade with them I reckon.

Every tree's different.

I find that plums still on the tree, if it's not a wet frost, just seem to shrivel up like prunes, but since there's not much flesh on them they end up not so appealing.

M
The fruit itself is very aesthetically pleasing to look at on a tree but I wish they was as sweet as cultivated plums though .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Find a plum tree and graft a branch onto one.

The Clyde valley that I live in (think upper reaches of the river not the industrial/city bit, we go up Clydeside to the country and down Clydeside to the shipbuilding) was the heartland of Scotland's orchards. Despite ever increasing urbanisation we still have a lot of fruit trees around. Plums were a bit of a favourite. Loads of apples, not so many pears but a lot of cherries and plums of every variety.

Many fruit trees among that lot graft well, and you can multi-graft onto a decent stock and get a variety on one tree.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Find a plum tree and graft a branch onto one.

The Clyde valley that I live in (think upper reaches of the river not the industrial/city bit, we go up Clydeside to the country and down Clydeside to the shipbuilding) was the heartland of Scotland's orchards. Despite ever increasing urbanisation we still have a lot of fruit trees around. Plums were a bit of a favourite. Loads of apples, not so many pears but a lot of cherries and plums of every variety.

Many fruit trees among that lot graft well, and you can multi-graft onto a decent stock and get a variety on one tree.
Interesting

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
If they are a bitter variety, or astringent, try mashing them up into a moist paste and leave them for a day. The compounds responsible for the astringency may come into contact with enzymes that will break them down. It may then taste more palletable.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If they are a bitter variety, or astringent, try mashing them up into a moist paste and leave them for a day. The compounds responsible for the astringency may come into contact with enzymes that will break them down. It may then taste more palletable.

Oh nice idea :) haven't tried that, and I might well :)
Thank you :bigok:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE