Bullaces...how to use

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have, in my new place, a fair old number of bullace trees. For anyone who hasn't met them, they are wild plums, look like huge round sloes, but are sweet when ripe (raw that is).

I'm planning a good few litres of bullace vodka (like sloe gin but needing less sugar) and perhaps a crumble or two.

Has anyone any other good recipes they might like to share?

I can easily get a couple of bin liners full and still leave plenty for the birds!

Red

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
How do you tell them from Damsons eh?

I have bottled about 18lb for my uncle (he is mad on them) damsons, yellowgages, cherry plums.....

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but I remember reading an easy recipe for making flavoured alcohol, it was something like: Half-fill the bottle with fruit, add half the fruit's weight of sugar then top up the bottle with whatever tipple you want. Is this right?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm cautious with the sugar - some fruit is inherently sweet - others, like sloes, more sour. These days I tend to make the fruit and booze first, then dissolve a lot of sugar into a small amount of water (sugar syrup). After the fruit flavour is imbued, I add the syrup a little at a time until I get the flavour I want. Not saying its any better, just that I have found some recipes too sweet for my taste.

In essence, all the fruit and sugar are doing is flavouring the alcohol so you can add as much as you like. The half fill with fruit is generally right for me

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think I have a supply, do you have photo's for confirmation please. mine look like small plums but are hard like bullets

(My) Bullaces are just like sloes or victoria plums in colour - between the two in size. I find sloes to be about the size of a kidney bean. The Bullaces are the size of a sprout. Our Damsons are a different colour - more pink than grape purple when ripe and about golf ball in size.

HTH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE