Building a wooden house

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
This video has been popping up here and there over the past week...

[video=youtube;ErGQ0rXkn74]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErGQ0rXkn74[/video]

...it was posted by the folks at John Newman Tools.

For those who have seen this and enjoyed it this earlier video may be of interest too.

[video=vimeo;17360574]https://vimeo.com/17360574[/video]

I think I prefer the house in the second video.

:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just finished watching the first video, and it's a beautiful home too :D a family home with space to live comfortably :D

Thank you for the links; I enjoyed watching those :cool:

Mary

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd like the first one as the main family home, and the second one to take them for holidays, please!

The first one is superb in the standard of finish, .......meticulous is perhaps the way I'd describe it but without being fussy.

Building such a house is the one big project I always wanted to do but was never quite able to get there, watching these people do it is a vicarious pleasure.......Thanks for these really enjoyable vids :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
In the first video (the larger house) he drops a sizeable stone into the basement, why? Is that perhaps where the foundation of the fireplace/stove will be?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
In the first video (the larger house) he drops a sizeable stone into the basement, why? Is that perhaps where the foundation of the fireplace/stove will be?

It's for the foundation of the whole lot, chimney stack and fireplace which IIRC weighs in at 13 tonnes :)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
As a carpenter/joiner I love to see how other craftspeople work, not only do you nearly always learn something new but some people have a kind of poetry in the way they do things.
Jacob has that about him and I can tell that he has thought the whole build out in minute detail.
Thanks for posting this up.

Rob.

Second house built much like we build our hunting cabins for winter. Don't need as many tools, just saw, axe and a chainsaw and plenty moss for chinking gaps. We never really had glass windows and smoke goes through the roof, although many of us use stove + pipe fire. Floor of spruce/cedar foliage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE