Building a Tiny Wood Cabin with Hand Tools.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Notice how easily he could have been badly injured or killed if he really was working alone.

Maybe. But he wasn't .

I'm sure he took the same risks as any previous frontiersman ( or woman ) took and many of the same risks a lot of us take when we take sharp knifes and axes into remote ( ish - difficult in the UK ) and use them with forceful intent.

But death stalks us all regardless of how safe we think we are.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Standing close by as the tree fell = widow makers.
Slipping and falling on the wet creek stone.
A broken leg or a cracked skull would slow the project down.

Just things that are not commonly done by old hands in the forest.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I found it hard not to wince when he was using the drawknife and getting so close to his main arteries, and the handling of the axes he was showing where I was pleasantly surprised he didn't slice his hand or fingers open :( That aside, it was interesting to watch and in fairness to the bloke no claret was actually spilt, nor limbs severed, although I haven't watched episode three yet so there's still time !!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There is, now, a very popular man in Canada who built his own cabin from the trees on his land using hand tools. He has subsequently built other structures, from outdoor kitchen to sauna.
Shawn James, whose site is My Self Reliance.
I first saw his videos when he was still mostly posting his canoe trips and had only a few thousand subscibers.
Later, when he was still building the cabin walls, I found it really interesting to see how one man using only hand tools could build such a really sound and comfortable structure.
Now he has over a million subscribers, but he still posts bushcraft videos among his building projects.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Interesting.
In the early Kate Shugak books they talk about a cabin design of having a raised bed platform so a one room cabin except that there is a ladder to a bedroom of sorts. They also mention an overhanging porch.
Can anyone point me to pictures or a design for this?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well whatever, I have built two sheds and two greenhouses on my allotment with handtools using available materials, what is so clever about it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE