Building a pit house/bank house

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I've always been interested in primitive and/or ancient underground shelters. I've seen Anasazi pit houses and kivas in the desert, reproductions of Eskimo and Athabaskan below-grade shelters, and I've read about colonial-era bank houses. Supposedly they're warmer in winter and cooler in summer. My wife and I recently bought 52 acres of remote land, and I'd like to build one there. But first I decided to test the concept right in our yard, where the construction will be easier and more convenient. So I started digging. After three days with a pick and shovel, this is what I'd done:

IMG_1623.jpg

A curious neighbor wandered over to see what I was up to, felt sorry when he saw the blisters on my tender pink hands, and came back with a little backhoe:

IMG_1625.jpg

There's still a tremendous amount of dirt to be moved in order to make the sides square and the floor level, but I'll end up with a 10'x12' hole at least four feet deep. The soil is very sandy and gravelly, so I don't think drainage will be a problem. I plan to build the sides up of four-inch-thick pressure-treated lumber locked together with lap joints. The roof will be two-inch-thick planking covered in plastic cement and then a sheet of black poly with sod planted on top. There'll be a vent at each peak, and a door with a window at the downhill, southern side.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Interesting post Oblio.

I'll look forward to seeing future pictures as your project builds. I take it you're not bothered by local planners in New Hampshire.... unlike us poor folks in England :D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
As long as a structure is no larger than 120 square feet, our town doesn't require a building permit. Besides, when it's finished with a sod roof and some judicious plantings, it should be difficult to even notice.

Hopefully they are not members here:cool:

Interesting, I'll look forward to the next installment.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fascinating.

I've always loved simple dwellings and older type constructions - from long houses to pict houses. I really look forward to more pictures of your proect - thanks for sharing!

Red

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I think these types of construction are a great idea.

I even mentioned houses like this to the kids last year on holiday and now they are all for trying to build one to live in.

I don't yet have any land to build on and I think planning regs. are going to be a nightmare.
But I have started keeping an eye out for land and I'm always interested to see other people building something similar.

Be good to hear how you get on with your project.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Sort of like the idea but would say that you will need to drain the structure well to avoid it being soaking wet inside.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Now it's turned into a community project. I bribed the neighbors and their kids with a trip to the pizza parlor by boat. The little girl in pink is a Gopher from Hell - she was filling buckets faster than I could empty them and didn't want to stop for lunch.

IMG_1642.jpg

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Now THATS the way to do it. Bet the parents of the kids are happy to, about getting too-tired-to-make-trouble kids home every day.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I think these types of construction are a great idea.

I even mentioned houses like this to the kids last year on holiday and now they are all for trying to build one to live in.

I don't yet have any land to build on and I think planning regs. are going to be a nightmare.
But I have started keeping an eye out for land and I'm always interested to see other people building something similar.

Be good to hear how you get on with your project.
Tell them it will have "Minimal visual impact" and will be "Ecological and low/no carbon" that way you'll have the government on your side :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE