Bug-me-not

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
I got some socks from them awhiles back, very good stuff, but not cheap.

Just received the 06-07 catalog and theres a much clearer pic of yon jacket.

Its very much like a light veil, from head to waist.

Bet you could knock one up, in no time, Toddy :)

Ceeg

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Got my catalogue this morning too!
Some great stuff in there but I fell out with them a little when I ordered an O' Tom tick picker and they sent me the (cheaper and useless) tick pliers. They then ignored my email asking them to sort it.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Good Grief! Are things that bad!? :eek:
Looks alright for on-the-move but if you're not covered in something foul smelling, I haven't found the solution to stopping the little blighters from working their way into clothing or biting you through it, especially net, where it touches you when you're still!
Here I am presuming midge means the same thing; Are your midges the same as a Welsh midge - really small 1-2 mm and come in plagues or are they a bigger variety? :confused:
:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep, that's the blighters :(
I get in such a mess with them nowadays; two bites near my right eye virtually closed it the first time I went to a Loch Achray meet up.
I detest insecticides though, and citronella smells bitter and foul to me. I'll live, but I much prefer the colder East coast than the wetter West because of the lack of midgies.

Cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've heard that eating yeasty food helps keep them away, and marmite. Good thing with marmite is if eating it doesn't work, you could try smearing it on your skin 'cos you either love it or hate it, here's hoping midgies hate it!! :D

Have you tried that Avon product that is meant to keep them away??

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Not a great fan of insecticide myself, though I do use it sometimes when the midgey going gets really tough! The only thing that really works for me is smoky clothing and some eucalyptus and lemon stuff I bought in Florida to keep the mosies away from my hammock; where by the way (off topic/off continent) I also found smouldering coconut husk worked a real miracle! :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been planning ahead this time :cool:
I've dyed a linen shemagh with bog myrtle :D and I've been tincturing the flowering heads this week, strained it this afternoon ( the other Toddy (my brother) commented, "You need a lab." I replied, "Why? I've got a kitchen :confused:" ) and I'm going to turn it into an anti-midge ointment with melissa and mugwort.
I've been making scented beeswax to use in my candle lanterns, and I've made some lotions to encourage quick anti- inflamation and clean healing should I get bitten. :rolleyes:
I love Marmite on my breakfast toast :D so that's covered; coconuts aren't readily available though I can spare an old coir doormat if you think it's worth the effort ;) My dad smoke a pipe to get peace from the midgies..........it won't be the first time I've slept on the burdenboards in a small boat out in a loch to get away from the pests......Song of the Paddle folks are going to this Meet up too.......I need a boat :lol:
The no see um mesh jacket seems such a good idea, but is it really?

Cheers,
Toddy

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
I'd feel like the bullies were winning behind all that mesh. I like the "come and have a go if you can handle the eco warfare" approach much better! :D
Mears is selling some potentially pestilential concoction on his site...does anyone know it it's any use?

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Toddy said:
Has anyone got any of this range of kit?
http://www.bushwear.co.uk/Products.aspx?cat_id=109

Especially the jacket?
http://www.bushwear.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=33

I get eaten alive by midgies :( :( and though I have a head net, it's restrictive and no way to bare arms, etc., when it's hot and muggy (ideal midge weather :rolleyes: )

Cheers,
Toddy
Toddy I have a similar jacket to that one. If you want to try it out at the Loch Achray PM me you address and I'll post it out to you tomorrow.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Angus Og said:
Toddy I have a similar jacket to that one. If you want to try it out at the Loch Achray PM me you address and I'll post it out to you tomorrow.

Are you not going to get a chance to come up yourself?
Excellent offer, much appreciated :)
atb,
mary

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Toddy said:
Are you not going to get a chance to come up yourself?
Excellent offer, much appreciated :)
atb,
mary
No cant make it my brother as got a gig up in Kinlochleven that weekend. They have been trying to get one for a while in that area but couldn't find a place big enough.
But have now in the Ice Factor .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE