Bug Hotel: How to Attract Tenants

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
"If you build it they will come..."

As the advice given initially has proved, just leave it alone and the bugs will find it. Maybe it helps that our little 2 year old apple tree is right outside the bug hotel?

If we see any spidery incursions we'll try and get a snap or two but they are going to have to work hard to dig through the front door.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
It looks like Mrs Bee hasn't finished yet:

8SZrTCSl.jpg

She may even take over all the apartments!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great stuff. Have a few guests staying my self. Can just about see one at work around 5 oclock.

Some are mud based and some are leaf. Would love to know whats going on in the different types and why?

IMAG2466_zps8da87ce3.jpg

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Solitary bees are incredibly specific about the size of hole that they will use, to a tenth of millimetre, so a bundle like that with a nice variety of holes is ideal.

If you have masonry bits it is worth drilling holes in a block of stone and leaving it upright in a sunny position too, especially if it is limestone or lime-rich sandstone.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I started to type 'bee sized ones' and then realised that wasn't so helpful. On the other hand there isn't a quick answer. Most solitary bees are smaller than honeybees, so generally small holes are best, but a variety of sizes is the only real advice I can give. Possibly look at the BWARS site for more info on solitary bees.

I'm remembering an Oxfordshire Wildlife Trust reserve near Abingdon that I used to visit. They had a sandstone cliff, very crumbly, and it was like a swiss cheese with bee holes. Apparently the diversity of solitary bees there was pretty special.

Found the link

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
What impresses me is the incredibly thorough job she makes of cleaning out each hole and then plugging it up.

You try it without arms, let alone opposable thumbs.

Bees.......respect.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Reviving this thread because of something I learned from a woman from Bumblebee Conservation the other day.

It seems that 70% of all solitary bees are ground living, so these wall-mounted bug hotels are completely useless for most species (but perfectly fine for others). Her advice for attracting solitary bees was to take a large plant pot, fill it with a mix of 50% soil and 50% sand to create a really sandy soil, and then leave it in a sunny spot. You can just stand the pot upright, or lie it on its side. Both work, so long as you keep it free from plants, as a patch of sandy bare earth. Apparently this is solitary bee nirvana. No need to bore holes in it, as the bees will excavate their own to suit.

If you have enough, a nice sandy mound of soil is even better, as the bees can choose how much sun they want by using different sides of the heap, but it is a bit of a pain to keep it weed-free.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE