Bug Hotel: How to Attract Tenants

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Apart from the obvious signage, what else can be done to make this property with vacant posession more appealing?

DsOLT.jpg

I was maybe thinking of masking it a little with hay or something, or shall I just wait for word of mouth amongst the bug community to do the trick?

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Closer to the floor or somewhere more sheltered maybe?

It is fixed under the eave of my shed, at the end of the garden which gets the sun for most of the day. My logic for putting it there was that it was sheltered but also likely to be warmer than a shady part of the (North facing) garden.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I just leave the ones i make out in the garden in sheltered spots, the bugs will find them eventually, just let nature run it's course

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I just stung mine from the fence near an apple tree. Its was pretty much full last time i checked.
This was a few months ago.
IMAG0545.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
These things attract insects that are seeking somewhere to nest, or those seeking somewhere to hide. Either way, they will come to you.

Personally, I think a selection of holes of different diameter is best, as iut gets a bit of diversity, but what you have will work. Just leave it alone. Insects will find it.

CraftyLDN

Nov 15, 2012
London
I'm in a similar position, got a similar design to that too. But the only tenant at the moment is a fairly large spider - doesn't seem to want to share(!)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I can now report that our bug hotel is occupied :)

88OV8Hfl.jpg

On a sunny Monday afternoon we were watching her busily clearing out that hole. It is now sealed up, presumably with some baby bees to be safely inside. She wasn't the only visitor so there may be a full house eventually.

She made a super job of reaming out the fibres from the drill hole too; it was fascinating to watch.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Mrs Bee has been seriously busy. Obviously all the previous buzzing around was her checking out the neighbourhood, the schools, parking etc...

eI996AHl.jpg

Looks like we passed the test :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE