BUFFS - Good or.... ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
ive got about 9 buffs and 7 shemaghs, different enough to both be usefull

Lidl/Aldi often have cheap fake ones in, they tend to be not as stretchy as original buff and can give headaches

merino buff is excellent, i have 2, a lot larger than normal buff, very strechy and roomy

ive worn 3 different buffs just today

i would get more than 1, you can make a merino beanie and also a a scarf at same time

the normal buff can pick up odours easily,

in summer i soak mine and let evaporation keep me cool.

they also make good emergency gloves which isnt normally mentioned on buff sites
my father swears by his for under cycling helmets

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I have a few, a light fleece one is a particular favourite as its a hat I can wear without my head getting hot and itchy which is rare. Very useful and light, rarely without one in fact.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I just bought a "Buff" in merino, I've had it three winters now, always have it with me and have used it hard - still as good as new for twenty squid :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Don't worry about the missus - the minute she gets that in her mitts you'll never get it back; just go and press the button on one for yourself, it'll save time :)

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I have a Buff and an Aldi lookalike, and they both work well, but Buff does have a good reputation. If someone does want to see what a Buff type thing is like, then Aldi will have them on offer as part of a motorcyle special buy at £2.99 https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sun-8-mar/product-detail/ps/p/multi-functional-neck-warmer/ from this Sunday - there is even a camo one! They did have a fleece type thing as part of one of their skiing special buys, which might still be hanging around the stores.

Of course a visit to the nearest TKMaxx tends to bring up something similar as well.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I haven't got a buff, and I was really hoping that someone on here would confirm that they are really good for picking up beautiful women, but it seems not. Must just be marketing hype. :rolleyes:

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
I'd never heard of them before, some years ago I had a small scrim scarf, but I was in a Go Outdoors store the other day and there was this huge section showing buffs, and really extolling how great they are, how useful, how you would be able to pick up beautiful women while wearing them etc. etc.

So...

Useful or not? or just another gimmick. (not terribly bothered about the picking up beautiful women as I'm married to one :)

Personally, I don't like them. Several reasons; first, if I get too hot the only option is to remove it which usually means taking off my hat to do it. I prefer a hoodie to keep my head warm under a hat so the option of pulling a buff over my head is redundant. In fact, the balaclava is a better option. I think its the restrictive aspect of the buff I dislike most so I prefer scarves ...

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have several and find them very useful for all of the above reasons - I've also melted one on a hot pot! Only shortcoming: SWMBO refers to them as my "cravats"...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally, I don't like them. Several reasons; first, if I get too hot the only option is to remove it which usually means taking off my hat to do it. I prefer a hoodie to keep my head warm under a hat so the option of pulling a buff over my head is redundant. In fact, the balaclava is a better option. I think its the restrictive aspect of the buff I dislike most so I prefer scarves ...

Buffera (makers of the genuine BUFF) also make Buff balaclavas and Buff hoods .The extra long Buffs make great scarves ....
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/co...Balaclava-Wool-Buff®-and-Hoodie-Thermal-Buff®

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they do the job and are very versitile. i'm just not the person for them.

Some people wear bandanas as hats, the buff will convert easily to a hat. I don't wear my bandana on my head either. :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they do the job and are very versitile. i'm just not the person for them.

Some people wear bandanas as hats, the buff will convert easily to a hat. I don't wear my bandana on my head either. :)

Read the review - these are real balaclavas and hoods....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE