buffing leather strop

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I've been looking buying a decent strop for my straight razor but am horrified at the cost of the good quality ones. So i thought, Baggins me old chum, you make lots of leather stuff, how hard can it be to make a decent strop?
After a bit of searching, i've discoved that all the best ones are 'hand buffed' leather. Anybody any idea what this means and how to go about it?

Cheers

Baggins

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
It is also called Corrected Grain Leather.

Corrected grain leather – leather from which the grain layer has been partially removed by buffing to a depth governed by the condition of the raw material and upon which a new surface has been built by various finishes.
Terminology

Basically you take a strop length of decent veg tanned shoulder (what you'd use for belts) and abraid the grain side with medium grit emery cloth. Then go to a finer grit. Finally give it a going over with wire wool.

The aim is to remove enough of the epidermis so that it will hone the razor properly. The back (or flesh) side of the leather is OK for bushy knives, but is generally too rough for fine honing needed for a straight razor.

The reason that hand buffed leather is so expensive is the amount of work involved in its preparation. Machines can do it, but then they can't call it hand buffed.

Eric

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
It is also called Corrected Grain Leather.

Corrected grain leather – leather from which the grain layer has been partially removed by buffing to a depth governed by the condition of the raw material and upon which a new surface has been built by various finishes.
Terminology

Basically you take a strop length of decent veg tanned shoulder (what you'd use for belts) and abraid the grain side with medium grit emery cloth. Then go to a finer grit. Finally give it a going over with wire wool.

The aim is to remove enough of the epidermis so that it will hone the razor properly. The back (or flesh) side of the leather is OK for bushy knives, but is generally too rough for fine honing needed for a straight razor.

The reason that hand buffed leather is so expensive is the amount of work involved in its preparation. Machines can do it, but then they can't call it hand buffed.

Eric

Would my bridle leather belt be the same Eric?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE