Budget Scandinavian Forest Axe - any advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
I am looking for a budget winter camp axe along the same lines as the GB scandinavian forest axe. So far I have found two axes that seem to be fairly good at inexpensive prices, a helko and a hultafors. I know many people will recommend getting a GB , however GB more than double the price of these axes and I am not sure that I would get double the value out of it? I already have a Wetterlings equivalent of the wildlfe hatchet and an Argos hatchet.

http://www.gustharts.com/c10492-helko-10kg-classic-axe/?show_inc_vat&currency=show_in_gbp

http://www.toollineuk.com/product.php/site/froogle/sn/HULHY20085SV/google/

The only thing is that I would have to make a mask for the Hultafors which I have never done before, but it can't be mega difficult right?

Anyone have any experience or views on the budget end? Thanks in advance

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've got the Hultafors one and it's on a par with my GB Small Forest Axe in my opinion. The other one you show looks nice but I have no idea of quality.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I've got both the SFA and the hultafors. The hultafors gets more use, the helve is a better size for my farmers hands, and at less than half the price of the SFA I can use it without getting too precious.

The mask off the old husquvarna hatchet is an exact, and I mean EXACT fit for the hultafors.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are good details on the hultafors - its forged and you know who made it. Hultafors are a very respectable "known quantity".

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
if your afraid you will damage a scandi forest axe theres a very good chance you will as your more likely to be thinking about that than what you should be thinking of (what your doing! ) at the end of the day its a tool, regardless of the expence it shouldnt be treated any differently than a cheaper alternative and providing your using it properly you shouldnt damage it.

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
Thanks for all of the votes towards the Hultafors - One is now heading my way...rude not to for £29 all in. May even go back and get the hultafors classic hunting axe at a later date instead of a GB small forest ;-)

Last edited:
N

Nomad

The Gransfors sheath for their Scandinavian forest axe will fit the Hultafors with a bit of stretching of the strap. (Wet, tease out, fit, leave to dry.)

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I also have a Hultafors "Agador" felling axe HY 10-1,5 SV (3.5lbs), not a rucksack job but very useful when group camping chops down bigger trees/logs...[/FONT]

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
The Gransfors sheath for their Scandinavian forest axe will fit the Hultafors with a bit of stretching of the strap. (Wet, tease out, fit, leave to dry.)

Thanks for the tip, although it's probably time that I learnt to make something out of leather and an axe mask seems like a good place to start?

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I just been making a mask for my mates hultafor axe like that but 1 3/4 lb, it feels a nice axe, and i like the helve, not used it, buy my big hands feel very comfortable on it, .....

I would say you cant go wrong....... In a way whats the point of spenading more....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE