Budget Kit for Bush craft, Hiking and Camping.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Hi all,
I am back after a long time away due to ill health and need to renew a lot of kit, had to sell most of it due to stopping work,
Is there an area on this fine forum for buying Bush craft, Hiking and Camping kit on a budget and for beginners?
Somewhere where someone can add links, advice and knowledge to aid people in buying kit.
I need to get a lot of stuff on a budget and I am sure there are a lot more than me that could benefit from such a thread.
Apologies if there is already a thread,
All the best
Dave

Reactions: Erbswurst

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
You mostly paying for less weight, so If you don't have to drag it to the top of the mountain you don't have to spend hundreds.
3 categories that will save you money:

1. Household items: lighters, matches, cotton balls, cordage, plastic bags, pots and pans for consumables and kitchen.
2. Military surplus kit: clothing and carrying kit. They are build to outlast the user and can be had for few quid.
3. Few tried and tested brands that are tried and tested like mora and DD.

You can't go wrong with Mora for blades, Fiskars for wood processing tools, DD or TenthWonder for shelter (especially used).

What exactly do you have in mind? Bushcrafting, hiking, camping? What conditions?

Reactions: cbrdave

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I am pretty well informed about the best low budget options and can tell you about that.

What do you have left over?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I got most of mine at car boots but thats not practical this time of year.

Like Bigmonster said; exactly what do you intend doing? What are your kit asperations?

What can you make?

You may find something on Freecycle, -but there is a lot of rubbish around.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Frontier bushcraft article is outdated.
The principles are right but most items aren't offered cheap any longer and never had been the best options.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I am pretty well informed about the best low budget options and can tell you about that.

What do you have left over?
Trangia stove, 25 litre bag, mora knife, sak, couple torches and multi tool.
I got most of mine at car boots but thats not practical this time of year.

Like Bigmonster said; exactly what do you intend doing? What are your kit asperations?

What can you make?

You may find something on Freecycle, -but there is a lot of rubbish around.
Got a bootfair near me runs pretty much all year round, picked up a brand new mini kettle for £2 just before xmas.
Can't make anything from fabric or leather but pretty handy with metal and wood.
Made a couple of meths stoves for fun yesterday, made some knives before too.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
You mostly paying for less weight, so If you don't have to drag it to the top of the mountain you don't have to spend hundreds.
3 categories that will save you money:

1. Household items: lighters, matches, cotton balls, cordage, plastic bags, pots and pans for consumables and kitchen.
2. Military surplus kit: clothing and carrying kit. They are build to outlast the user and can be had for few quid.
3. Few tried and tested brands that are tried and tested like mora and DD.

You can't go wrong with Mora for blades, Fiskars for wood processing tools, DD or TenthWonder for shelter (especially used).

What exactly do you have in mind? Bushcrafting, hiking, camping? What conditions?
Looking at day hikes for now but will be doing overnight camps, mainly spring summer 1 night maybe 2, I have a mora, sak, rucksack, multitool, few torches, saved them from the sale pile, been picking bits up and have a kettle, gas stove, stanley cook set, just thought i'd pick some brains and see if there was anywhere to get stuff that was useable quality but cheap, i have used go outdoors and bootfairs along with facebook, i'd prefer to buy sleeping bag new and will do a bit of research on here for a good one.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The prices for military surplus go up and down. What was one year ago the best low budget choice may be today overpriced.

You should be a bit careful and not buy immediatly what looks good in the first moment!
Come back and
ask before you spend money!

There are superior constructions on the military surplus market, which may be a few cents more expensive than others. But they are worth it, as we talk here about the best of the best one can get.

It isn't sensible to buy rubbish just because it's cheap. It's better to save up step by step and work in the beginning with improvised solutions if needed.

Some of the best equipment in the world you can buy really cheap if you find the right shops. The prices for military surplus can differ very much from shop to shop!

I give you here a list about the in my opinion best equipment that you can find for really little money.
I know most European military surplus shops. We can search together for the best offers.

Rucksack Dutch army Sting, generation 2
Alternatively Berghaus Vulcan or Atlas.

Sleeping bag
Used Dutch or British army copy of the Carinthia Defence 4 or better the original new or something similar like Snugpak Special Forces 2
Bivvy bag, British army, used in good condition
Closed cell foam roll mat, British army, used.
Military poncho, German army used
or the larger British army shelter sheet
Cordage
2x 3 metres to tension it as lean to shelter, and 1,50 metre to make a tripod.

Fleece jacket Solognac Fleece Recycled 500 or similar milsurp
in a dry bag as pillow too,
together with
Spare underwear 1X
Briefs and T-shirt, cotton.
Woolen spare socks 1X British army new
Swimming briefs 1X

Toilet paper in a zipp lock freezer bag
Wash kit
Folding tooth brush, tooth cream, biodegradable soap in a small bottle and disposable razor (Wilkinson's) wrapped into a small microfleece towel (Nabaji size S) and stored in a zipp lock freezer bag. Plastic signal mirror for shaving.

Food
In an olive green dry bag that you can hang mouse proof into a tree or in the
Mess Kit used from the German, Austrian, Finnish, Swedish, Russian or Rumanian army
Esbit stove used from the German army (or British army folding stove, especially if you choose a British army bottle with BCB stainless steel Crusader mug.)
Spoon stainless steel from the flea market
Candle In a zipp lock freezer bag, a few drips of wax can be used as a fire starter
Matches and 2 x Bic cigarette lighters
Head lamp
Petzl e+lite

ON THE MAN:

Mountain boots Schladminger 100 or Austrian army (Not the current light model!) new
Woolen Socks British army new
Underwear
Trousers or shorts,
polyester-cotton blend, Solognac Steppe 300 or Shorts 100 or similar for example Austrian army
Handkerchief , cotton
Several times folded usable as pot holder and pre filter before water purification by boiling.
Purse
House
keys
Matches or Bic lighter
Belt
Solognac 100 or similar
Knife, Hultafors GK, Mora Companion HD, Opinel No8 Carbone or similar,
(+ SAK with scissors, Victorinox Climber)
Canteen (2x) with mug and belt pouch
from any NATO army used
T-shirt
Shirt

Buttoned long sleeved shirt with two pockets and flaps over it. For example Austrian army, heavy version KAZ 75 used.
Compass Suunto Clipper or M-9 or whatever you have
Topographical map
1:50 000

The best regularly available Goretex suit is the Flecktarn Goretex suit of the German army.
The Austrian field uniforms are currently very cheap, very good quality and plain olive green. That's usually fast drying polyester-cotton blend fabric, especially if you choose not the KAZ 75 but the KAZ 02 or KAZ 03 it's nearly always the best blend that you can get and in modern cuts.

I suggest that you look up the stuff from British military surplus shops and come back with links to the offers.
I will see immediatly if it's cheap, OK or overpriced as I know the current prices on the European market.

Last edited:

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
The prices for military surplus go up and down. What was one year ago the best low budget choice may be today overpriced.

You should be a bit careful and not buy immediatly what looks good in the first moment!
Come back and
ask before you spend money!

There are superior constructions on the military surplus market, which may be a few cents more expensive than others. But they are worth it, as we talk here about the best of the best one can get.

It isn't sensible to buy rubbish just because it's cheap. It's better to save up step by step and work in the beginning with improvised solutions if needed.

Some of the best equipment in the world you can buy really cheap if you find the right shops. The prices for military surplus can differ very much from shop to shop!

I give you here a list about the in my opinion best equipment that you can find for really little money.
I know most European military surplus shops. We can search together for the best offers.

Rucksack Dutch army Sting, generation 2
Alternatively Berghaus Vulcan or Atlas.

Sleeping bag
Used Dutch or British army copy of the Carinthia Defence 4 or better the original new or something similar like Snugpak Special Forces 2
Bivvy bag, British army, used in good condition
Closed cell foam roll mat, British army, used.
Military poncho, German army used
or the larger British army shelter sheet
Cordage
2x 3 metres to tension it as lean to shelter, and 1,50 metre to make a tripod.

Fleece jacket Solognac Fleece Recycled 500 or similar milsurp
in a dry bag as pillow too,
together with
Spare underwear 1X
Briefs and T-shirt, cotton.
Woolen spare socks 1X British army new
Swimming briefs 1X

Toilet paper in a zipp lock freezer bag
Wash kit
Folding tooth brush, tooth cream, biodegradable soap in a small bottle and disposable razor (Wilkinson's) wrapped into a small microfleece towel (Nabaji size S) and stored in a zipp lock freezer bag. Plastic signal mirror for shaving.

Food
In an olive green dry bag that you can hang mouse proof into a tree or in the
Mess Kit used from the German, Austrian, Finnish, Swedish, Russian or Rumanian army
Esbit stove used from the German army (or British army folding stove, especially if you choose a British army bottle with BCB stainless steel Crusader mug.)
Spoon stainless steel from the flea market
Candle In a zipp lock freezer bag, a few drips of wax can be used as a fire starter
Matches and 2 x Bic cigarette lighters
Head lamp
Petzl e+lite

ON THE MAN:

Mountain boots Schladminger 100 or Austrian army (Not the current light model!) new
Woolen Socks British army new
Underwear
Trousers or shorts,
polyester-cotton blend, Solognac Steppe 300 or Shorts 100 or similar for example Austrian army
Handkerchief , cotton
Several times folded usable as pot holder and pre filter before water purification by boiling.
Purse
House
keys
Matches or Bic lighter
Belt
Solognac 100 or similar
Knife, Hultafors GK, Mora Companion HD, Opinel No8 Carbone or similar, (+ SAK with scissors)
Canteen (2x) with mug and belt pouch
from any NATO army used
T-shirt
Shirt

Buttoned long sleeved shirt with two pockets and flaps over it. For example Austrian army, heavy version KAZ 75 used.
Compass Suunto Clipper or M-9 or whatever you have
Topographical map
1:50 000

The best regularly available Goretex suit is the Flecktarn Goretex suit of the German army.
The Austrian field uniforms are currently very cheap, very good quality and plain olive green. That's usually fast drying polyester-cotton blend fabric, especially if you choose not the KAZ 75 but the KAZ 02 or KAZ 03 it's nearly always the best blend that you can get and in modern cuts.

I suggest that you look up the stuff from British military surplus shops and come back with links to the offers.
I will see immediatly if it's cheap, OK or overpriced as I know the current prices on the European market.
That's great, thankyou so much for you help and advice, i'll definitely have a look around and ask advice before spending.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Sting Lowe Alpine like new, offered in Holland for € 129:

Sting made by Arwy, faded out, offered in Germany for € 55:

That is the mark you have to look for in Britain to avoid shipping costs and import taxes.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Should you find no better offer, this here could be an option:

They don't have the original side pouches, but the British ones fit.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You seem to be off to a good start.

A First Aid Kit should be next on the list...you can get basic ones in the garage.

some string? (Paracord is nice but costs more, maybe get some for heavy use.)

Have you got local maps?

A compass?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Sting is adjustable in the back length. It fits nearly everybody.

The Berghaus rucksacks are offered like clothing in several body sizes.
If the size 2 should fit you because you are between 160 and 174 cm tall, that here might be a good offer too if the coating is only rubbed through and doesn't fall off.

Below you can see that size 2 is made for people who are just 160 to 173 cm tall. But I own the Atlas and took the smaller size although I am 1 cm too tall looking at the recommendations. I had tried both sizes in the shop.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Get a bivvy bag in the best available condition.
Endicotts sells Goretex repair patches but the stuff isn't cheap.

A waterproof item with holes isn't a good idea, especially if you end up with a soaked sleeping bag. Here you can't save money.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi all,
I am back after a long time away due to ill health and need to renew a lot of kit, had to sell most of it due to stopping work,
Is there an area on this fine forum for buying Bush craft, Hiking and Camping kit on a budget and for beginners?
Somewhere where someone can add links, advice and knowledge to aid people in buying kit.
I need to get a lot of stuff on a budget and I am sure there are a lot more than me that could benefit from such a thread.
Apologies if there is already a thread,
All the best
Dave
Not much to add, but it’s good to see your username again. My sympathies for your health issues, I’ve had a few real show stoppers myself in recent years so wish you well.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I would call them and ask which grade of shelter and bivvy has absolutely no holes or other heavier damages.
These tarps last a lifetime in civil use and are worth the investment unless your fire lighting skills aren't so great.

Beginners tend to burn holes into shelters and rather should start with a cheap one.

I assume that you own a rain suit or want to buy one anyway. In this case the British army tarp is surely the better option for you.
The German army poncho will last you for decades as well if you get one from around 1990, and not much older. The manufacturing date is printed inside at the chest.
It weighs like the British tarp, can be found for 20 to 25 € in usually very good confitions and has only 210 × 165 cm.
But that's also large enough as a tarp if you have a good bivvy bag, because mainly the bivvy bag keeps you dry.

British tarp and a rainsuit are heavier than just the German poncho of course. But that doesn't help you if you will always carry a rain suit anyway.

But if you can't afford bivvy, tarp and rainsuit now, take German army poncho and a good bivvy bag! That isn't optimal for England but it works pretty well. And you would get two high end quality items in very good conditions.

Tarp and Goretex suit you could get later, but surely never will regret to have bought the German poncho, because it's simply good.
That is no rain poncho like all the others.
It's a ABC protection poncho, designed to protect also against nuclear fall out, chemical and biological attacks and even for a short moment against fire.
Probably ridiculous in a third world war scenario, but it's indeed very robust!

And hey, I went for decades just with this poncho and nowadays mainly use an even slightly shorter, a bit lighter one although I have a 1000 € tent and a Goretex suit. I just don't want to carry that always around!
Poncho + bivvy is generally the lightest shelter option. What I mainly use is lighter than this, but just a bit.
I simply carry the a bit less robust option.

But if we talk about low budget on a professional level we talk about stuff that has a good chance to last a lifetime. It's no problem to afford such equipment and buying anything else would be totally idiotic in your position.

I have quite a lot of stuff. But recently bought indeed 3 German army ponchos.
Because they are good!

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

An advantage of the poncho is that you dry it at the body if walking or at the cloth hanger in the bakers shop.
A tarp you often pack whet into the rucksack. But well, the Sting has well sized side pouches for that.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

I recommend you to choose the British army bottle and to take two of them.
You probably will find sooner or later the plastic cup and steel mug that nests into the folding hexamine stove. Such stuff can be found in surplus shops and at flea markets dirt cheap. The wide mouth closure of the 58 pattern bottle is something the US soldiers would like to have but don't get, whyever.

The British MTP bottle pouch fits onto the belly of the Sting rucksack too and has a better quality than the Dutch belt pouches. The different camo pattern wouldn't desturb me. I would take two of them and as well two MTP utility pouches that have under the flap an additional draw string closure. That's generally one of the best you can get. And you get it incredibly cheap!

But these smaller pouches you don't need for now. Now you just take the large side pouches for the rucksack! It's really large enough.

You even don't need the army bottles now. Every supermarket plastic bottle will do the job as well. The point is just that their closures break after a couple of weeks in regular use. You have to change them regularly.

Used bought field bottles can be cleaned with denture cleanser over night and afterwards with hot water, dish detergent and bottle brush. They should be stored open and upside down and never contain anything else than drinking water.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE