Buddy burners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Anyone tinkered with them? I'm bound to have a load of cardboard after the 25[SUP]th[/SUP] :D and I’ve a ton of old candles I’m unlikely to use, just wondering what the size to out put ratio is compared with conventional cook units like hexamine, esbit or alcohol burners and what the best cans to use might be

plan to use them under a GI stove stand

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
I've not used a buddy burner since scouts 2 decade ago,we used to add more wicks depending on usage, plus as time went by we worked out we cold add stuff to the wax for more fun, napalm anyone :lmao: Oddly I can't remember what cans we used, they had screw on lids like pipe tobacco tins but I'm pretty sure they were bigger than the 50g or 100g jobs?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Things like shoe polish tins or Tate & Llyal syrup tins are handy.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've always found just a cross of thick cardboard sunk into a bean can fill of molten wax works nicely. It was a trick shown to me by a homeless chap who was cooking on one actually. Called them a squat candle, because they're frequently used in squats. They burn for hours and you can snuff them, let them cool down and use it multiple times. In not sure as a direct comparison to other stoves, but I do know you can cook on them very well. Burn dirty though, so your pans will need a good scrub. I use them fairly regularly if I'm honest

Tuna and cat food cans supposedly work better if you're making the coil type. Long as you have something to act as the wick they work though. Same gent was actually using a larger can (the catering size ones) as a hob of sorts by placing it over the burner with a draft hole in it. Necessity is the mother of invention eh!

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive made them with a coil of card in a baked bean tin, -might help to have a wick in the centre to start it off.

They do indeed burn for hours (I tested one and it burnt all day) but are sooty!

Im suprised they arent used more often as aside from the soot issue (really no different to an open fire) the only thing that would cost you (unless you find some candle stubs) is the wax

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE