BSA lightning XL

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I bought one for my son last saturday, its was new so needed bedding in and i reckon a strip and polish will improve it, overall its not a bad bit of kit, i have heard that the gas ram doesnt make much diferance but maybe you could try it and see how you feel with it:)

how much was yours? im thinking £150 is a good price, but i wanted to check what people thought before i went for it.

i dont know much about the gas ram thing, he just said it has been fitted with that, so i dont really have a choice about that part.

Thanks for your help :)

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Hi mate, is it a private sale or from a shop? the gas ram as far as i know is a more responsive action than a spring but i have a feeling that gas rams are harder on scopes due to the sharper kick when the trigger is pulled! im sure someone will correct me if this is wrong!
also has it definatly been fitted with a .22 gasram as people have been known to fit a .177 ram to take the rifle over the legal limit! just something to be careful of! :)

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
The rifle is a good little hunting rifle for not alot of money from new and tbh bsa have always made good workmen rifles. the gas rams are made by theoben and are designed to be smoother than a spring and means you can leave the gun cocked with out damage to the spring also they dont wear out like a spring so they stay more consistent power wise if its a private seller try and barter but if its good nick with a scope 150 aint bad and have a good few test shots.like whats been said .177 ram in a .22 will take it over the legal limit

yeah it has a scope with it, so i may go for that. I have only heard goo things about BSA, especially compared to other starting rifles

Turnip- yes it is private seller, so i will have to check which ram has been put in.

Andy- yeah, hopefully i can bring the price down a bit more but if not i dont consider £150 to be too bad for what im getting.

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
Its a nice light weight air gun, the gas ram will give a lower recoil, they are going for about that on gun trader (£150) so OK price with a scope

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
I have been very happy with my BSA lightning xl, Had a few different rifles throughout the years! owned it now for 3 years now, and by adding a BSA muzzle brake (helps with acuracy,the air disperses better when the pellet leaves the siliencer), and a trigger shoe (helps with prolonged trigger action at the range).
Other people at the range have since added these 2 things to there rifles, they both really make a difference!
Price sounds pretty good as long as the ram is right.
Good luck!

Rockmonkey

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Nice gun. We have one which my son uses. Accurate and powerful, although I find the trigger heavy and fiddling with the adjustment screw doesn't seem to make much difference. The trigger on my TX200 is far superior.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE