Brynje

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
C

Chitterne

Pondering whether to 'go Brynje'. Why? I'm bored of getting a sodden back to my polypro t-shirt when wearing a pack.

A bunch of questions for anyone who's able to offer experience-based advice (please!):

I'm guessing that a Brynge polypro stringvest-type top will solve the 'sodden' problem.

I've searche 'Brynje' on here and read the results, but can't see any user reports discussing 'moisture management' in particular (as opposed to skin imprinting/chafing). How does it compare to normal polypro underwear when you're sweating heavily?

Sizing- as always, I seem to be on the border between sizes. Go snug or loose? (I'm guessing snug).

Availability - Can it still only be got directly from Brynje?

Thanks!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Pondering whether to 'go Brynje'. Why? I'm bored of getting a sodden back to my polypro t-shirt when wearing a pack.

A bunch of questions for anyone who's able to offer experience-based advice (please!):

I'm guessing that a Brynge polypro stringvest-type top will solve the 'sodden' problem.

I've searche 'Brynje' on here and read the results, but can't see any user reports discussing 'moisture management' in particular (as opposed to skin imprinting/chafing). How does it compare to normal polypro underwear when you're sweating heavily?

Sizing- as always, I seem to be on the border between sizes. Go snug or loose? (I'm guessing snug).

Availability - Can it still only be got directly from Brynje?

Thanks!

I have only experience with the Antarctic Jacket (the one without a hood, I just found out that excists).

From what I know:
- Go for a snug fit: the fabric is synthetic, which doesn't absorb moisture. The 'holes' are the actual insulation, with a snug fit your body heats up the air in the 'holes', which keeps you warm.
- Carrying a rucksack always makes you end up with a wet back, unless you go for a rucksack that doesn't touches your back.
Eventhough the Brynje fabric doesn't absorb moisture, the layers on top might do.
- Normal polypro underwear might go smelly, Brynje doesn't. (IIRC they tested it with Norwegian guys in a submarine for a prolonged time; at the end it didn't / or hardly smell).
- AFAIK you can't get it from Brynje directly, but they do have a dealer section on their website (which you probably already have seen).

HTH

C

Chitterne

Thanks for the answers!

Just followed up that USMC link - great prices. Just ordered a top and a bottom - so very many thanks for that! :)

Thinking of wearing next layer on top as coolmax t-shirt or normal HH polypro - any thoughts on that?

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
In my experience Brynje does smell. It really does (but takes one minute to wash!) That is why I replaced the Brynje-first layer. Merino now. But Brynje is still my number one baselayer for sports.
Snug fit is very important. The cotton Brynje is great for hot summer. If you go running, 35°C, cotton-net only is a dream.
I have 10 year old Brynje T-shirts still in use. They last.
If your back is wet (backpack), you can wring the Brynje-shirt out. But you must not. The moisture management is good. Get wet! The net-webbing keeps you toasty (snug fit! Gets looser when wet! I am 185cm, 82kg and wear size M!)
Shorten the long-johns! 3/4 length is much better. 4/4 length is no fun: bulky wet lower part of Brynje-trousers hanging on your wet socks ...
"How does it compare to normal polypro underwear when you're sweating heavily?" - it does feel better. The net makes a difference even when pressed to the body by midlayer and backpack. Worth a try, and strongly recommended for running etc.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
A good combination might be Brynje Polypropylene as baselayer and a Snugpak Sleeka Light or similar Nanok Jacket as midlayer. Any kind of smock on top. In heavy rain, I stash the smock (Ventile ...) away, and wear the Brynje and Sleeka only. That is a very good combination for rain: you get wet and stay warm.

C

Chitterne

Thought I'd just do an update now that I've used the stuff a bit.

Brilliant.

The best baselayer I've ever used; never clammy & the fastest dry (or dry-feeling) after a heavy sweat of anything I've ever worn.

Recommended :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Hi Chitterne,

How is the sizing? I'm kinda between medium and large although I saw that Ogdon, who is a similar size, wears medium.

Thought I'd just do an update now that I've used the stuff a bit.

Brilliant.

The best baselayer I've ever used; never clammy & the fastest dry (or dry-feeling) after a heavy sweat of anything I've ever worn.

Recommended :)

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Medium would be a good choice for the Brynje cotton net T-shirt (the cotton ones are really great for summer, sports, having a cold and staying in bed ...). My Polypro T-shirt in Large is perfect when dry. But after two days of heavy rain, it gets less tight (which is ok but not perfect). I am not sure about Polypro size Medium. The arms (cuff? don't know the word) might get too tight! Maybe ask Brynje about the little arm-cuff size of the T-shirt. They usually respond to e-mails, and are very kind in my experience.
Think the size of the little cuff is important. The body almost can't get too tight. But the arm cuff is not that stretchable.

C

Chitterne

Hi Chitterne,

How is the sizing? I'm kinda between medium and large although I saw that Ogdon, who is a similar size, wears medium.

I had the same dilemma; my size sits on the 'size boundary' for brynje. I ordered large half expecting to have to return it for medium; but large was fine. I'm 6ft, 42" chest and 36 (but should be 34!) waist

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
Another Norwegian company,Aclima , makes the same thing as Brynje but in WOOl.
After 2years they are still as good as new and i use them a lot (wearing them now).
They have al the advantages of Brynje plus the advantages of wool. The only negative is the sizing, I'm 178cm long and usually wear L-XL and the shirt is a L and it's to short in the arms and almost to long, the pants are M and they are to long but close to perfect in the waist.
http://www.aclima.no/index.php?view=prod&cat=1&subcat=2&lang=en

Last edited:

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
That's one thing for sure, but the price is still around another merino underwear. I only bought the shirt because I got a lower price and the pants was given to me by a reseller, so it was not to expensive for me :)

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
They keep me warm and dry, as soon as I'm starting to sweat I almost feel the sweat disappear from my skin :) Except from that you don't feel that your wearing them, they just work and is keeping your body at the right temperature.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE