Brynje Military Underwear Sweden/Norway?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Hi!
Has anyone here tried out the Brynje Cotton mesh underwear? They have different weights and designs.. on their website. They are also supplied to the Norwegian military.
Can anyone here give any feedback on what thermal garments the Scandinavian military usefor cold weather?
Thanks!
Monk

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I am in the process of trying to order some of Byrnje's undergarments. They are hard to come by in the US, only the poly net can be had in the US, but a Canadian firm carries the whole line....I am awaiting an order catalog.

I have worn various net materials in the past for many occasions and find it near perfect.

My cotton net is excellent in the warmer seasons (but unfortunately far too tight now :?: ) This stuff is nice under a thin shirt to keep bugs from biting through, and really ventilates nicely. Even though it is cotton it does not get too clammy as most of it is air.

My poly net top is OK but very abrasive under a pack. I wear it for high activity like X-country skiing. This I am looking to replace with the Brynje Super Thermo or possibly their Arctic versions which has a layer of wool over the net.

I have a pure wool net top from Devold, this is pure luxury for lower activity in the cold. It is too warm for local winter wear but perfect in Montana winters. It never feels clammy, but the smaller holes do not ventilate quite enough for higher activity in moderate cold.

I cannot wait to get some of the Brynje garments to replace my small cotton net and my early version polypro abrasive net.

Brynje Site

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I tried it a long time ago when I was in the army and for whatever reason I wasnt overly impressed with it - if I had been I would still be using it!

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Monk said:
Hi!
Has anyone here tried out the Brynje Cotton mesh underwear? They have different weights and designs.. on their website. They are also supplied to the Norwegian military.
Can anyone here give any feedback on what thermal garments the Scandinavian military usefor cold weather?
Thanks!
Monk
Cotton is definitely not the way to co for underwear used in cold weather. Go for wool underwear ! The Brynje cotton mesh is ok for not so cold weather, but cotton is no good as soon as it gets wet or the weather is extremely cold. If you are going to use it for a wintertrip to the "Land of Nog" you should at least get the Arctic versions .

Schwert said:
.....I have a pure wool net top from Devold, this is pure luxury for lower activity in the cold. It is too warm for local winter wear but perfect in Montana winters. It never feels clammy, but the smaller holes do not ventilate quite enough for higher activity in moderate cold.
Good choice Schwert :biggthump Devold make some good stuff. My primary winter sweather is a Devold, woolen underwear is from Ulvang which is more or less similar to the Devold stuff. Will buy Devold though, when my current set is finished.
www.devold.no
www.ulvang.no (there is a link to a pdf file with an English summary at the bottom of the page - left hand side)

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Monk said:
Hi!
Thanks!
Monk

The swedish army uses undershirts and long johns made out of
50% Polyester
28% Polychlal
22% Cotton

A pic of the shirt nad long johns
106093.jpg

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Schwert, I did obtain through a surplus store a cotton string vest from Sweden SPORTARTIKLAR AB KARLSTAD and have worn it in HOT weather under a shirt..weird..it does keep one a bit cooler in hot weather! Can't find a source for that garment anymore. At the end of a day when I would take off the string vest from under a cotton dress shirt you can squeeze moisture out of the string vest but yet when you do wear it you do not get that clammy feeling if you were wearing a regular cotton t-shirt.
For very cold places I would go with the wool underwear.
Viking, thanks for posting those pictures of the military undergarments,
Monk

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I contacted Brynje seeking US or North American distributors of their underwear.

Margaret Pederson from Brynje sent me these contacts:

Only the poly net is available in the US at:

Reliable Racing Supply Inc.
643 Upper Glen Street
Queensbury, N.Y. 128804
U.S.A.

Phone (518) 793-5677
Fax: (518) 793-6491

e-mail: brenda@reliableracing.com

Canada has one source of the complete line:

Chroma Inc.
20 Carman Rd.
Chelsea
Quebec
CANADA

Attention: Mr. Chris Dodson.

Phone: 819.459.3131
Fax: 819.459.3452

e-mail: chrisdod@magma.ca

I am awaiting the price list from Chris Dodson.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Monk said:
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Schwert, I did obtain through a surplus store a cotton string vest from Sweden SPORTARTIKLAR AB KARLSTAD and have worn it in HOT weather under a shirt..weird..it does keep one a bit cooler in hot weather! Can't find a source for that garment anymore. At the end of a day when I would take off the string vest from under a cotton dress shirt you can squeeze moisture out of the string vest but yet when you do wear it you do not get that clammy feeling if you were wearing a regular cotton t-shirt.
For very cold places I would go with the wool underwear.
Viking, thanks for posting those pictures of the military undergarments,
Monk

Is this the stringwest you mran?

106207.jpg

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Viking,

Would you have any idea how much a string vest like that would cost in Sweden? Also any idea of a retailer there that might do international mailings? These are rare as hen's teeth over here.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Schwert said:
Viking,

Would you have any idea how much a string vest like that would cost in Sweden? Also any idea of a retailer there that might do international mailings? These are rare as hen's teeth over here.

I have no idea what it would cost and where to get them. But if a i find I will post it here

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE