Brought home to me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Slept all afternoon and woke when it was dark.

But the Electricity had run out.

So I had to light a candle in order to see to renew it...

Found candle and matches.

Ever try to light a match in the pitch black?

Took me 5 matches.

I am no good at firecraft

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
HA! Wish I was a fly on the wall for that one. Did you have a "light station" of candles and matches laid out?

My village (McBride, BC) is subject to numerous total power failures, day and night, all year long.
Honestly, it's the darkest dark of black darkness imaginable.
I think it only seems worse by being accustomed to the electric lights of the evenings.

I have a LED "touch light" which sits by the bathroom sink. Big base, hard to tip over.
My logic is that I can follow walls in the dark and get to the bathroom without tripping over anything.
All I have to do is find it and bumble into touching the top of it = 3 levels of brightness.
Nothing else is a problem after that.

Reactions: Toddy

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Slept all afternoon and woke when it was dark.

But the Electricity had run out.

So I had to light a candle in order to see to renew it...

Found candle and matches.

Ever try to light a match in the pitch black?

Took me 5 matches.

I am no good at firecraft

Ode to a damp match by Tengu 2018

Reactions: Toddy

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Ode to a damp match by Tengu 2018

It's certainly the most poetic post for some time, I enjoyed it. I'd suggest a poetry thread but I imagine that it'd rapidly become truly awful, I'd give it 'til the weekend before we saw the first attempt to rhyme Mears with Deers.

As for power cuts/running out of electric: I live with relatively frequent power cuts here, I think maybe not so bad as Robson Valley has it but much more often than I've known anywhere else that I've lived in the UK. I've got a torch in my pocket, always. It works well for me.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We used to have regular power cuts, 3 or 4 every winter, some lasting a couple of days. Not really so bad with log burners, oil lamps and gas burners as backup but our water is from a borehole with a pump. So I went and bought myself a nice 2Kw diesel generator. Guess what, we've not had a power cut since and that was ten years ago!!!

One hardly used generator for sale! :)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I was able to fit an emergency light next to the consumer unit (Fuse board) so when/if the power goes off I get a couple of hours of light to sort out the circuit that has gone. Also put one outside of the garden shed as there is a freezer in there, if the power fails to the shed the light comes on letting us know.

Not easy with rented and on pre-payment, but otherwise a great addition :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Um, its not a poem...

Those matches are cheap ones, plus the damp in winter does not help, -yet ordinarily I dont have ones that fizzle out.

Just my bad luck.​

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I was able to fit an emergency light next to the consumer unit (Fuse board) so when/if the power goes off I get a couple of hours of light to sort out the circuit that has gone. Also put one outside of the garden shed as there is a freezer in there, if the power fails to the shed the light comes on letting us know.

Not easy with rented and on pre-payment, but otherwise a great addition :)

Motion operated LED lights are cheap. We have one in the porch to give us enough light to get in if we come in late. One fixed inside the cupboard of the fuse box would only get activated when the cupboard door was moved.

Still, like Bearbait, I have torches about, most with either a tritium marker or a glow spot on them. Much kinder to the eyes at night when off for a pee or to let an ancient Jack Russell out for the same.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I keep a flashlight near the bed (in the top drawer of the bedside table) I need to be more diligent checking the battery condition though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE