BRKT Mikro Slither Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Ok, in this article I’m going to be looking at the merits of the Bark River Mikro Slither . This is a knife which I consider to be a true pocket knife in that they will fit in a trouser pocket without causing your trousers to fall down. It is the sort you could carry on you when you are out on a bimble without terrifying the natives when you use it (as long as you have good reason and obey the laws etc.)
I’d also like to point out that I’m no knife expert of bush craft wizard. Those of you who are probably have your own opinions and those of you like me can probably benefit from hearing about my views and mistakes.

What am I doing it with?

The knife on trial is the Bark River Mikro Slither#. The data for this knife says it has a blade length of 1.75 inches and an overall length of 4 inches. Mine came with a leather pocket sheath and antique ivory handles and was around £35 via E-Bay. This knife has an unusual blade shape and is flat ground all the way across the blade. It is a fixed blade.

The Tasks
The tasks involved may not be your standard tests as either they are things either I don’t find useful, simply don’t have the skill to do or can’t do for practical or legal reasons. The tasks attempted are either my own ideas, borrowed from other reviewers or suggested by the community at bushcraftuk. I’ll try to give credit for ideas where I can. I shall not be chopping breeze blocks, large trees or skinning buffalo as these aren’t realistic tasks for these (and in some cases any) knives. Also I shan’t be skinning or butchering any animals which didn’t come from the supermarket as firstly I neither hunt nor fish and secondly I am writing this in mid summer which is out of season for lots of those things.
Before the start of the tests I stropped knife on a piece of card with some tooth paste on it. This seems to be fairly effective at sharpening and polishing the cutting edge and has the added benefit of being something that everyone has to hand. I spent about 15 minutes stropping and checking each side and then give it a quick run through a pocket steel. Any further sharpening necessary will be noted.

Task 1 - Feather Sticks
Thanks to the suggestions of Ogri the Trog on the bushcraftuk forum I have decided to make feather stick as the 1st and last task in this test to see how the blades hold up. Unfortunately this is not something I’m very good at. I’ve garnered some advice from the internet so lets see if my feather sticks are anything like Ray Mears’ pedigree rooster tails or are more my typical battery hen style.
True to form I was unable to make much progress with this knife yet could turn out reasonable curls with a Scandi ground or SAK blade. The shape of the edge tends to cause the knife to bite into rather than plane along the top of the stick making it hard to get good curls.

Task 2 - Sparking a Fire Steel
Now I’ve included this as everyone else seems to do it. Personally I’ve never seen the need as the fire steel comes with its own purpose built and very light striker which I’d rather use than a nice shiny knife. I’m going to be judging how easy it is to get sparks and how many can be made.
The Mikro Slither does make some sparks with its square spine but not many and it did mark the blade. I wouldn’t recommend doing this with it really/

Task 3 - Portability Pocket and Tin
Now we’ll see about an important practicality issue. Because when it comes down to it if a knife is too big or heavy or uncomfortable to carry you probably won’t have it with you when you want it. I’ll be seeing not only if the test subjects are ok in the pocket but also if they fit in a tobacco tin. I’m using this as I’ve never eaten an altoid in my life so this is what my mini-kit goes in.
The Mikro Slither comes with a sheath which does fit the knife very well. Unfortunately though it doesn’t match the knife in terms of workmanship and is a little rough. I’ve carried this in my pocket and although it seems secure it is always in the back of my mind. You could put a cord through the holes in the handle and sheath to secure it if you were really worried. The knife does not fit in the tin in its sheath but out of the sheath fits in easily taking up very little room This would be an excellent tool for a survival kit if the blade was covered with something like duck tape to protect it.
The knife is very light and very very small which keeps it from being too noticeable to carry. I’ve looked at different pocket sheaths and may eventually change this one for something a bit nicer to look at which would sit squarer in my trouser pocket.

Task 4 - Food Preparation

This is a wonderful knife for some aspects of cooking. I was able to cut nice thin strips of meat for jerky and make some fine carrot sticks very easily with it. As it is so sharp and has a rounded point you can literally just point your finger along what you want to cut and it will follow.
It is capable of bigger tasks like chopping potatoes and onions but due to the short blade length it will not go through in one go. This is however what you’d expect from the knife and it does still cut cleanly.
It was quite easy to clean after use but my model has holes through the pin on the handle and you need to make sure that no dirt has been washed into these. If I was to do a bigger job with this knife I’d probably want a loop around my wrist as it is easy to get the blade backwards despite the file work on the spine.

Task 5 - Hard Wood

The interesting shape of the blade makes it a really neat whittler. Due to it’s flat profile and relatively long handle it can be used like a draw knife although it does tend to bite deeply. The tip of the blade can also be used to push cut somewhat like a skew knife which can sometimes be a useful asset. Indeed to get the most from this knife it is necessary to just hold it in whatever way that presents the part of the blade you want. If you are reluctant to use it with your hands on the blade then you’ll not get the best from it.

Edge Holding
The edge of this blade is very fine and this does make it very sharp. However when whittling seasoned hard wood you could see a sort of dull spot where the edge had been turned slightly which took about 5 minutes stropping and a few passes with the pocket steel to remove. The edge was also turned slightly when cutting onto a glass chopping board which took a few minutes stropping to put right.

In Conclusion

This is a great little pocket knife and the blade grind means that it will usually feel sharp and cut well regardless. If you are doing conventional carving and odd jobs it is great but it is a pocket knife not a bush craft mainstay. I’m pleased with it and it is a real joy to play with because of it’s quality and looks. It is expensive for the size but I don’t know of anything else this small and portable with a fixed blade that will out perform it.
In essence it is a good pocket knife as long as you accept that it naturally has certain limitations.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Great review Sam.
I own a mikro canadian and an OMF knife from BRKT and there was a subtle but noticable difference in the grind.My mikro canadian was sharp but never as sharp as the omf knife.As I mentioned there was a difference in the grind,both are convex but the OMF knife had a much shallower aproach to the edge than the mikro.The OMF is a 60mm razor that makes feather sticks as well as any of the flat ground knives I have.The mikro,having a steeper grind was good at many things but very poor on feather sticks until I bit the bullet and reground it on some coarse (260g) wet and dry to make the plunge to the edge shallower.I refinished it through finer grit papers and now it performs much better.I think if you look at the blade geometry of your mikro slither you may well find you have a similar steepish grind where you can noticably see the curve of the grind drop from the flat sides of the blade. The convex on the OMF knife is so shallow as to be near impossible to see and I would suggest that with a little work you can get your Mikro slither a LOT sharper.Once you have a decent edge it will keep it very well with just an ocasional stropping to maintain it.
http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/bushcraft/omfknife/index.html
http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/canadian_guide/mikrocanadian/index.html

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bushwacker Bob,

Is a convex that is so shallow as to be impossible to see fairly close to a full flat grind?

(removes tongue from cheek and wanders off chuckling to self)

Red

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Great review - good to see some realism, clearly noting the downsides as well as the positives.

But you use a glass chopping board? :eek: ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Graham_S said:
good review,
i've got it's larger brother, the mini canadian skinner and i love it.

Me too, and it's an excellent tool. Very good for wet work, mine has the faux tortoiseshell scales, so no worries about working with reeds, rushes, willows or skins.
I must admit to have eyed up the micro after seeing the one that Warthog1981 had.

Cheers,
Toddy

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
British Red said:
Bushwacker Bob,

Is a convex that is so shallow as to be impossible to see fairly close to a full flat grind?

(removes tongue from cheek and wanders off chuckling to self)

Red
Ha Ha :lmao: NO
The offer is there Red, Just say the word and I'll drop it on your doorstep for your paroooosal :27:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
bushwacker bob said:
Ha Ha :lmao: NO
The offer is there Red, Just say the word and I'll drop it on your doorstep for your paroooosal :27:

:D No ta Mike - just doesn't float my boat mate ;) Should have that blackcurrant wine for you to go with the mead in about a week though :)

Red

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
The glass chopping board just happened to be the clean one as I'd just messed up the wooden ones. It isn't ideal but by the same token I was a bit disappointed that it turned the edge on it as it isn't really an extreme task.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
British Red said:
:D No ta Mike - just doesn't float my boat mate ;) Should have that blackcurrant wine for you to go with the mead in about a week though :)

Red
:eek: I thought you had a convex grind (F1)..........maybe thats what put you off.
I'll force you to look at it when the grogg is ready! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE