British PCS Lightweight Thermal Windproof Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Looks like latest issue and rather smart at that

http://gearinferno.eu/pl/kurtka-soft-shell-pcs-lightweight-thermal-windproof-smock/

smock_lightweight_thermal_pcs-22.jpg

I'm wondering if these are avalible on the Uk surplus market or whether there is a civilian one made to the same specs?

I've found the odd one in kids sizes but not worked out who's making it?

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Got one issued. Definitely an improvement on the old fleece but still not that great. Your much better off with the issue softie suit. The new fleece on offer is cut like an old norgie shirt but is very thin, so avoid if your going anywhere cold.

Tonyuk

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Loads on ebay and from surplus shops, they've been issued to UK forces for a couple of years now but hardly ever worn because they're not as good as Buffalo/Montane.

You'll pick up a new one for about £25-30.

The issued micro-fleece (the thin one) is a great idea, but nowhere near as good as a Paramo mountain shirt.

Softy jackets were great until you have to wear it constantly for a few weeks or until it gets wet, then the advantages of a full-zip Buffalo or Montane are apparent (the Danish lads get montane jackets issued, the Brits get whatever is cheapest).

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
The British Forces PCS Combat Thermal Fleece Undershirt: http://www.survivalaids.com/combat-undershirt-thermal-pcs is designed to go underneath the PCS Smock Lightweight Thermal: http://www.survivalaids.com/pcs-smock-lightweight-thermal, neither are a direct replacement for the norgie and softie, kind of a halfway house/compromise but doesn't quite get it right and requires the use of the coolmax for wicking purposes: http://www.survivalaids.com/british-forces-tshirt-combat-mtp-light-olive-pcs

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Noting comments on the micro fleece and the 'almost a buffalo' are they meant to be worn together to provide insulation? I have to say from experience working in a buffalo/montane means you sweat loads. I know the system is designed to cope with that but a less warm selection of tops may be better.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Loads on ebay and from surplus shops,.

only if your a child or a skinny bean pole so far...

Looks rather shiny and I was hoping for somthing in khaki/Tan

Noting comments on the micro fleece and the 'almost a buffalo' are they meant to be worn together to provide insulation? I have to say from experience working in a buffalo/montane means you sweat loads. I know the system is designed to cope with that but a less warm selection of tops may be better.

That was my thought, not looking for something for the camp fire just to sling over a T shirt is the weathers a bit rough

Last edited:

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Noting comments on the micro fleece and the 'almost a buffalo' are they meant to be worn together to provide insulation?

The thin one is designed to be worn under MTP outer layers (jackets, ubacs) and body armour, which provides a vital extra layer for stop-start activity in cold weather.

The 'almost a buffalo' is designed to be thrown over the top of everything during breaks in activity, etc, however it's velcro-like inner sticks to sleeves and pockets, etc, which makes this difficult.

There are plenty of alternatives in khaki/olive from the likes of Keela, Snugpak, Ridgeline, Buffalo, Montane which are miles better.

Modchop

Oct 17, 2013
Shropshire
I've had one of these for a while, in fact I've just taken it off from getting in from a walk. I bought mine new from Strikeforcesupplies.co.uk (and it's not in racing snake size ;) ) I tend to shove it in my pack for stops or when the temperature drops. I find them quite hot in use if you're working hard and I have to use the venting zips to prevent overheating. I like mine and use it regularly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE