British Native trees their past and present uses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
British Native Trees, Their past and present uses Author- Piers Warren ISBN-978-0-9541899-5-2

I recently purchased this from amazon as it was on my recommended list.(recommended lists are bad)
It is only a short book 84 pages in total however it contains some interesting trivia in it.
It has a very short section on coppicing, charcoal and a reasonable size section on firewood, it touches on the enviromental issues of using a fire to heat the home. It then goes through twenty one genus of trees
the page lay out for each genus includes the latin name and common name wood properties past uses and present uses of the wood. some pages include a black and white photograph of the leaves but not all.
it also includes a section of further resources predominantley websites.

so thats the description not for my opinions.
Its a nice lightweight book that doesnt disappear into technical terminology that leaves a layman like myself baffled which is always a winner.
The sections on coppicing and charcoal were very brief and whilst it is descibed as a guide to coppicing on the back of the book i think other books offer more thorough details which would be better perused if coppicing is on the agenda.
as for the past and present uses of the trees i found these quite interesting for example did you know maple leaves can be packed around apples and root crops to help preserve them over winter? I didn't :)

All in all this is a good if brief history of native trees and their uses. A little too brief in some ways but it was an enjoyable read and it gave me plenty of trivia to throw out at friends and family.
I give this book five out of ten

Sam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE