British Made Woodland Camo Backpacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 3, 2013
Glasgow
Hey guys,

First up, a disclaimer.
I run Trakke. It's my brand. We're a small company, making high quality waxed cotton backpacks & accessories here in Scotland.
I know it's a bit suspect for brands to post stuff on forums, but I get a lot of inspiration from places like this, so while I try not to post random sales related stuff if I can, I like to contribute when I think it's relevant.

Anyway, with that in mind:

We've just launched this amazing woodland camo fabric, and I thought it would be right up your street.
http://trakke.co.uk/category/limited-edition/

CAMO_FINGAL_0003_Layer-174.png

We've only got 15 metres in stock, and while we've only got photos of two packs online, we can make any of our range in camo by special request. If you want something British made, weatherproof and built to last, we can help.

Hope you like it!

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Fair play for coming straight out , no nonsense approach, it's an advert type of post!

The packs look great , the website looks good too.

Waxed cotton and old style design appeals to most here...

Now for my unsolicited and fairly uneducated critical view ...

For a new company , I think you have priced it a little high ...just my opinion but it's honest.

Especially when waisted padded belts and sternum straps are extras and not included in your Assynt 28 .
(the one I like ..😉)
I mean at £200 , I'd expect my backpack to have those two as standard...but that's just me.
What do I know.
Maybe that's why I'm still skint and not a successful business man...😁

It's a shame , because they do look great and I'm sure they are built to last, but it puts me and other less privileged folk like me out of you market.

Please don't take my comment the wrong way , it's supposed to be constructive criticism ...

I wish you best of lucks with your business , i really do .
...but as the dragon says ...:
" I'm out" ....

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
First post; he's allowed to say what he does, what he makes, etc.,

When you consider the price of bags though, from rucksacks to handbags, the range, and price range, is enormous.

M

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Think there's more mileage in their plain waxed oblong packs than the camo one.

That said I can see anything from their range nestling beneath the table of some trendy independent coffee boutique.

K

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Best of luck with those. From a British manufacturing point of view you can throw £30 on that straight away for general paperwork time, so labour plus materials including the time ordering it, you won't actually get much by way of a margin when all is done.

If Louis Vuitton can sell £3000 handbags to Chinese secretaries. Anything is possible. :)

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2013
Glasgow
Hey guys thanks for the comments.
We've been running since about 2010, and I've been learning to run a business as I go.
Our core ethos centres around making everything here in the UK, so we have a workshop in Glasgow where we do everything in house.
We also use British made materials, so the bags are expensive, but its money well spent, on quality materials and quality construction.

We actually used to sell packs that had waistbelts etc, but we found that a lot of people removed them to suit their own preference. As a result, we made the range more modular, so you only buy what you need.

@Klenchblaize is right though, some of our customers aren't super outdoorsy - and the bags are designed to look good in the city too - but we've got bags being used in Antarctica, Greenland, South America - all over the world in some pretty crazy environments! I never expected that when I started out!

Anyway, I really appreciate your feedback! Looking forward to exploring more of the forum!

Dave Dickinson

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2017
Rochdale UK
I don't want to put your product down but fjallraven do a state of the art pack at 300 notes. Good luck but without Ray mears on your side saying there the best thing since sliced bread I'd say there too pricey. Good luck with them and hope you don't take offence at what I'm saying.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Best of luck with those. From a British manufacturing point of view you can throw £30 on that straight away for general paperwork time, so labour plus materials including the time ordering it, you won't actually get much by way of a margin when all is done.

If Louis Vuitton can sell £3000 handbags to Chinese secretaries. Anything is possible. :)

Hardly the best of advertising straplines!

K

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I don't want to put your product down but fjallraven do a state of the art pack at 300 notes. .

But hardly a fair comparison. Fjallraven are a large, long established company that outsource production to China.

Personally I see nothing wrong with the prices Trakke charge. The fact that the company has been going 7 years is proof enough that there is market demand. British manufacture and materials are going to drive price up, you cannot have your cake and eat it, and much like with food, if you value ethically and sustainable sourced produce you should be prepared to pay the extra it costs.

And for context, I work part time on close to minimum wage so I don't think my view is skewed by the amount of money in my pocket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE