British Columbia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Hi all,
Looks like I've managed to wangle a stop in Canada during some upcoming adventures, hopefully late spring '07. We're flying into Vancouver so I'd really like to take the opportunity to get some time out in the sticks.

I seem to remember that some of the members here are from BC. I wonder if any of you have any tips about good places to consider visiting?
I'd love to be able to do some wild camping and get some canoing in. We'd need to get some tuition in the latter though; we're both comfortable in the water but not canoeists...

So, are there any good places that are easily accessible for a couple of backpackers, with a moderate amount of knowledge and experience, landing in Vancouver where we can at least scratch the surface of BC?

Any recommendations for routes of short canoe trips or guides to learn from?
Or perhaps good places to visit where we can comfortably camp a few nights and enjoy the scenery?

We have no strict timeframe, so suggestions for a good time to visit would also be interesting.

I've already got hold of some good resources for bear precautions and the like, and read a few bits here on the forum, but any other pointers would also be appreciated.

Of course, anyone in the area would be welcome to join us for the trip, just part of it, or even just a beer and a burger.

Oh, and suggestions for things to do and see are welcome even if they're not related to Bushcraft!

Cheers!
Neil

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Neil,

I live in Nanaimo, which is just a short hop across the water from Van. The hiking on Vancouver Island is much better than around Vancouver, mostly because there's a lot less people. Anyway, I'll buy you a beer if ya show up. :) That said, here are some places you should definately visit:

- Whistler/Blackcomb mountain. Everyone knows it and the 2010 Olympics will be there.
- Stanley Park in Vancouver. It's an amazing place.
- Lions Gate bridge. "The Green Lady", a very old very beautiful bridge.

Hop on over to the Island and check out:

- Elk River Valley (my favourite place in the world to go hiking/climbing. There's access to some really world class climbing and it never disappoints anyone.
- Well, pretty much everything on the Island. It's a spectacular place to live.

Cheers,

Adam

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
hi neil
my sister has just emigrated to BC and her husband is head raft/canoe guide for a company on the Frazer he also does some rigid inflatable power boat stuff too i can put you in touch if you wish. oh they live i a town called Sqwamish FYI
James

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
addyb dont i just know it. Not climbed in a few years its a 3 and a half hour drive to any sort of climbable rock here as i used to live within walking distance of the cargs i got a bit hacked of with it anyway when we go out there i'll be fit and ready to climb:D

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Thanks guys :You_Rock_

Addy, I'll take you up on that beer :beerchug: Hopefully I'll have enough cash left to buy you a couple back too!

James, it would be great if you could point me in their direction; canoeing down the Frazer is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Not so sure about the climbing though, there's a lot of me to carry up a cliff! :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE