British Blades

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Like a lot of other people I miss BB Forum and have to say hope Martyn recovers ok . Been on Blades Forums but getting sick of some of the childish replies / comments if you happen to bring a negative comment up about certain knife companies ! I thought it was all about debate , positive or negative ? but people can get really upset if or when you dont agree with their comments or downright rude when replying to my own comments . As if we didnt have enough to worry about in this world .
THANKS

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm sorry that you found it hard going. Personally I find 'special' hobbyist folks can become very didactic and rather insular in their opinions.

I rather think it's an own goal, and that to encourage other folks to participate, to put forward differing opinions and widen the discussion, is a good thing.

Forums only exist if folks join the conversations.

I know there are limitations on posting perhaps exactly what one might wish, but a bit of courtesy goes a long way in keeping folks talking and the information flowing.

I know too that in this present situation, with everyone yet again in a tight lock down and restricted social interaction, that folks are stressed, and it's showing at times.

Bushcraft; chill out asap :)
We're trying, we really are.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
It could be the way you ask the question, remember that Forum Owners do not like people slagging off companies, although it may be useful for the members, let me give you an instance.
I could come and say this

Dont Deal With XXXBlades, they are con artists selling fake goods at inflated prices beware and be warned.

or I could say

Has anyone had dealings with XXXBlades, I recently bought a knife from them and I am a little disapointed in it.

Now the second quote would probably start a debate and members who had good dealings with the firm, and those that had had bad dealings with the firm would offer their views.

The first quote would probably enrage those that had had good dealings with the firm, or who new the owners quite well.

Sometimes you have to coax the reponse , by putting your view in a certain way. and bear in mind that it is very easy to slag a firm or a member off with out proof or simply to do them harm. So the Forum operators have to be very careful that members do not put them in a awkward position.
Now saying all that, it is important that members ( in my opinion) are allowed to express their honest opinions freely, as long as they keep it respectable, and do not turn it into a personal attack on somebody.

Reactions: Essexman and Toddy

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Thanks for your comments guys , but in all honesty I wouldnt slag off any company or indeed show disrespect to any other forum members etc and I certainly have not made any such comments as , for instance "dont buy from xxxx company" or any negative comments about the companies themselves .
My only comments have been for instance " I personally find this model of knife far too overbuilt " etc , now surely that is not offending anyone (or is it ?) On forums such as these you cannot expect every member to agree with each other and lets be honest here at least , we all have our favorite type or style of knives , favorite manufacturers etc so why not state what you do or do not like regarding whatever knife ? it is no different than a review .
Thanks

Reactions: fielder1963

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
One mans meat is another mans poison.
It is sometimes easier to upset someone than to get them to agree with you.
But thats what forums are for.
Dont take anything to heart.
I have a feeling I know which forum you were one, and I must admit some of them are a bit cliquey.
But that 's life.

Reactions: WULF

mic201m

Oct 28, 2004
Hertfordshire
I have a feeling I know which forum you were one, and I must admit some of them are a bit cliquey.
But that 's life.
just joined ROF, thanks for the heads up,

regards mic

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
But that 's life.
Thanks for the reply Fadcode , yeh get what youre saying but at 63 Im far too long in the tooth to get really upset about such trivial things but when you post a sensible thread on forums such as these , all most people are looking for is either advice or other peoples views / comments which helps you form a better opinion of whatever knife you happen to be interested in . When certain people come back at you with an aggresive or challenging attitude it is only human nature to put your defences up . You are probably right in guessing which blade forum I was on about .

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I must admit I do miss British Blades.

There were some great posts and articles on the forum that were more than useful - there was some really talented and knowledgable folk who regularly contributed. Shame it’s all lost now.
It was active too and there often seemed to be a BB exclusive knife or group buy happening.

Dare I say BBs “replacement“ is a touch stagnant by comparison? Maybe too early to say.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
What BB replacement?

I fear that the Internet is a library that noone cares about and aren't really noticing that Huge repositories of information like niche Websites and forums die and disappear when am owner no longer wishes to continue and just deletes the lot.

Very ephemeral.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
What BB replacement?

I fear that the Internet is a library that noone cares about and aren't really noticing that Huge repositories of information like niche Websites and forums die and disappear when am owner no longer wishes to continue and just deletes the lot.

Very ephemeral.

It makes you realise how old information can be so easily lost. With the internet, I thought everything would be immortalised forever but then the same sort of issues arise as in ‘the past’.
im glad I saved lots of tutorials from it.

Reactions: Essexman

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hey, lets not use this forum to moan about moderators on other forums, defunct or not. Thanks.

For those that miss the information on British Blades, and think of it as lost for ever, have you tried the Way Back Machine
The internet archive. There are threads saved there. I just looked and dug up a snap-shot of the forum.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE