British Blades Forum - down

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MTG-

Feb 1, 2010
Dartmoor
Chris, axminster out of the stuff mate, got a different brand and lot more ££, when you need it give me your addy I'll send it to you, use what you need and send it back ok?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
No worries fella,I can have a look round here first if yer want! Hope mine turns out like yours and that I don't have TOO much to fix!!
Thanks tho!
Chris.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Aha, found you all!

Evenin' everyone. Jolly decent of Tony to allow us to banter on his forum, thanks mate.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
There's lots more to see here than just the English themed bar chaps! ;)

Why not have a wander round and do some sightseeing before returning home for fish and chips :D

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Why not have a wander round and do some sightseeing before returning home for fish and chips :D

I spend a fair bit of time here, it's a nice forum, lots to be learned. I love my bushcrafty stuff and camping.

hatethatgiraffe

Forager
Jan 9, 2010
Glasgow

I have been lol!
Been popping in here more and more recently and seems a nice friendly place.
Beer always tastes beter at home though ;)

zorro

Nomad
Jun 6, 2009
Chesterfield UK
Well, I was going to do a review of Mr Fugly on BB, but seeing as how we are here..............

Just to get you up to speed, it was made by one of BB's US members for a KITH (knife in the hat), folk sign up and make a knife then swap them.

Mr Fugly finished up with BB member Chibbi, who offered it up as a passaround. For some reason no one jumped at the offer, so it was then offered up to a good home on condition that whoever took it on did a review.

Which is where I come in..............:puppy_dog

So, I received it early last week, I was working late so I couldn't do much till this weekend, however it did pass the most important test at chez zorro, it opened packets of biscuits effortlessly. :)

Good start, but disappointing on the envelope opening front, no point to speak of and an alarming tendancy to veer off to the left? :eek:

Saturday afternoon, the sun is shining and the camera is charged. Time to get serious (ish). :D

I warmed up with some gentle cuts on a piece of wood.

100_3041.jpg

Tried a comparison with my Mora Clipper.

100_3039cropped.jpg

It's worth noting at this point just how uneven the grinds are. One side is comparatively normal, Scandi/hollow depending where you look, but the other is very convex, so end on it looks like a wood plane blade having a bad day, with the added complication that the blade also curves very slightly. :eek:

At this stage I thought a lanyard was in order, cos it's quite heavy and awkward and I didn't want to drop it on my foot.

I found some thick natural fiber string which would enhance the organic feel, and attached same to the curly bit at the end of the handle.

This was trimmed with my new higo, of which I have become very fond.

100_3050crop.jpg

Feeling overcome with happiness, I then dropped Mr Fugly point first onto the concrete floor, narrowly missing my foot. This did not improve the point.
I picked it up by the lanyard, and very carefully put my higo away. :eek:

Time to make some feathers. Using the knife left handed (which I am) produced lovely curly feathers effortlessly. Right handed it didn't want to know.

100_3053crop.jpg

100_3054crop.jpg

100_3055crop.jpg

Which left battoning...........:twak:

This is something Mr Fugly excels at, it was made to be hammered silly. Of course the weird grinds come into play again, so you're never sure which angle the thing is going to go off at, but it all adds to the charm and mystery. :D

In conclusion, it's ugly, awkward, unpredictable, heavy, quirky, loveable, full of character. And when I get the point sorted, it's off to aunty Jeans for a play. :D

hatethatgiraffe

Forager
Jan 9, 2010
Glasgow
Love it Zorro!
Looks like the top of an old fence that's been battered into submission and had an edge popped on for kicks!
Has a certain charm though, in the same way that I'd opt for the Ginger one in girls aloud lol!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE