British army windproof smock

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
As you can see you've walked into a bit of a mine field. Just a few obs; the smocks are certainly not all made of the same material. The old gaberdine ones have a nice feel and are windproof but are certainly not the toughest. The original S95 that rabitsmacker was referring to was a ripstop pollycotton with a button on hood (I actually think this is the best variant but I know that's not a popular view). After that the smock material was changed to a tough pollycotton without a ripstop weave and the hood was perminantly attached, giving the smock a different cut around the head/neck area. The first MTP version is very similar to the last DPM version (exactly the same cut etc) but the material is lighters and frankly not all that windproof. The material of the second version with mesh and hand warmers and covered pockets is the same as the first. I agree with many that MTP is a nicer looking camo than DPM but sadly I think the smocks are not as good mainly for the material used (which reflects the warmer environments they are used in and an emphasis on drying time rather than warmth/windproofness).

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
As you can see you've walked into a bit of a mine field. Just a few obs; the smocks are certainly not all made of the same material. The old gaberdine ones have a nice feel and are windproof but are certainly not the toughest. The original S95 that rabitsmacker was referring to was a ripstop pollycotton with a button on hood (I actually think this is the best variant but I know that's not a popular view). After that the smock material was changed to a tough pollycotton without a ripstop weave and the hood was perminantly attached, giving the smock a different cut around the head/neck area. The first MTP version is very similar to the last DPM version (exactly the same cut etc) but the material is lighters and frankly not all that windproof. The material of the second version with mesh and hand warmers and covered pockets is the same as the first. I agree with many that MTP is a nicer looking camo than DPM but sadly I think the smocks are not as good mainly for the material used (which reflects the warmer environments they are used in and an emphasis on drying time rather than warmth/windproofness).

Certainly is a minefield I have just looked at the lable on mine, describes it as "Smock, temperate, DPM" it does not have a hood, or buttons or any other means of attaching one, It has four front pockets, two deep zip fastening chest pockets and fastens at the front with a zip only. I have always assumed it is soldier95 as that is what it was advertised as, however I am not too sure now. Not that I am bothered as it cost me the grand sum of £10 when I got it, and it has plenty of wear left in it.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland

Dont forget the orange/dpm 94 pattern. The only thing I did not like about the 95 pattern was it was heavy and the horrible elastic bottom pull cord. The SAS smock gaberdine was windproof and lighter and more comfortable (for me anyway).

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Certainly is a minefield I have just looked at the lable on mine, describes it as "Smock, temperate, DPM" it does not have a hood, or buttons or any other means of attaching one, It has four front pockets, two deep zip fastening chest pockets and fastens at the front with a zip only. I have always assumed it is soldier95 as that is what it was advertised as, however I am not too sure now. Not that I am bothered as it cost me the grand sum of £10 when I got it, and it has plenty of wear left in it.

Could be the 94 or 95 pattern. The big advantage of both was the addition of those verticle zip pockets.

garethw

Settler
As soon as these become more generally available I'll definitely get one....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-M...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4ade5721b0

$_57.JPG

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge

As MikeLA said, could be an earlier patern, though I think they also have a button on hood. The buttons are on the hood not the jacket. The button holes are on the underside of the collar, maybe you missed them ?

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
Supposed to have been a SF only issue, if that's true I don't know.
Also known as a 'Tantalus' smock.

Now you mention it, I have heard of the Tantalus smock, usually in hushed and awed tones.
From the rumours, it was (is?) the sf issue smock that replaced the old gaberdine one. I've never seen one though.
It is worth bearing in mind I've been out of the loop for a very long time and all my info nowadays comes from gossip with other geardoes!

Bindle

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2014
The Mendips
I wouldn't wear a Para Smock as I've never earned the right to wear one. A pal of mine used to be on 2 Sqn, RAF Regiment & his looks pretty smart & very similar to the old one.

I also quite like a hood as if your sleeping out without a doss bag putting it up keeps you a bit warmer.

I really wouldn't worry about it. I had the 'right' to wear one, but using this logic I didn't have the 'right' to sleep in my Arctic sleeping bag (I never served in the Arctic). I much preferred my sleeping bag to my jacket though!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE