British army windproof smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
Hi guys,
I just wondered if you could tell me which in your opinion is better
The 95 pattern DPM windproof smock
Or
The new MTP windproof smock?
Which is more compact? Which is tougher?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I think the fabric is the same on both so they will be as compact & tough as each other. There are still variations like rip stop fabric & the older versions are without a hood. The MTP smock has a few extra features like pit zips & fleece lined pockets so that alone makes it a better smock IMO.

Personally I prefer one of the old SAS windproof smocks as the gabardine is very light, comfortable & dries quicker.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I prefer MTP camo, but I think the old DPM smock was better.
I find it dries quicker.
I don't like the fleece lined 2nd pockets in the new smocks - again because they increase drying time.
I don't like the mesh inner compartments (although this probably improves drying time I guess!!)
They are both really tough. I've given both extreme beatings with the Marines and now the Rifles (reserves) and they've both held up really well.
Plus, they're both easy to repair with a needle & thread.
I think the new MTP smock is slightly bulkier. Both are quite bulky compared with modern light weight hiking gear, but I'm guessing if you're after a smock, it's toughness you're after.
I did read (on here I think) someone saying that when we first switched to MTP, the smocks were exactly the same, just a different camo pattern.
I've never seen one though.

P.S.
I'm talking about the later DPM smocks with hoods, breast pockets etc.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
Personally I prefer one of the old SAS windproof smocks as the gabardine is very light, comfortable & dries quicker.
Me too tbh. Packs down pretty small and was king of smocks for a good while. Sadly don't wear well over time :(
I did read (on here I think) someone saying that when we first switched to MTP, the smocks were exactly the same, just a different camo pattern.
I've never seen one though.

I think that's true. Iirc the first bunch of MTP was more or less Soldier 95 in the new pattern. Then folk started seeing the design of the American issued kit and the new (PCS is it?) cut is much more featured. The smock borrowed ideas from lots of aftermarket smock manufacturers but like you say is pretty heavy as a result.

I still have a warm fuzzy spot for good old school dpm mind!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Give me the old SAS windproof gabardine smock because its is light, comfortable & dries quicker every time. Ive heard that MTP will be upgraded for Europe in a few years anyway.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Old sas or royal marine smock pee's all over the new stuff. Takes a lot more stick than you'd think frommthe thin qualities of the material. Good fit, good hood. Get better with age. Soft and light weight. Dries in half the time as a ventile job as well. Cant understand why it got dropped, I know cost dictates a do all tuff jacket, but christ alive the original smock and trousers are amazing, I have 3 or 4 smocks, a private made smock, and sn sass garbadine smock, and two pairs of matching trousers. Buy the best forget the rest.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Old sas or royal marine smock pee's all over the new stuff. Takes a lot more stick than you'd think frommthe thin qualities of the material. Good fit, good hood. Get better with age. Soft and light weight. Dries in half the time as a ventile job as well. Cant understand why it got dropped, I know cost dictates a do all tuff jacket, but christ alive the original smock and trousers are amazing, I have 3 or 4 smocks, a private made smock, and sn sass garbadine smock, and two pairs of matching trousers. Buy the best forget the rest.

Can yer sort a link out please too the smock yer describing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garethw

Settler
Hi there
Can't comment on the quality of the older DPM smocks, but I much prefer the MTP pattern...
My MTP is very nice, I especially like the fleece pockets. I'm not a big fan of the mesh lining though as it catches/sticks on any top I'm wearing, fleece, nylon Tshirt etc..
The velcro also seems of iffy quality and is losing threads down as far as the stitching. On the whole for 49 quid I really like this jacket... and with my Alpha quilted lining buttoned in it is a nice practical jacket.
cheers
Gareth

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Noone has mentioned the trusty para smock, sought after so much, alteration of new mtp smocks to para is now offered. Arktis made really good private purchased that were really good.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
Can yer sort a link out please too the smock yer describing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/componen...ks-arctic-sas-windproof--1795-detail?Itemid=0
There you go fella. The difference between the sas smock and the arctic windproof is the latter had a wired hood and rank slides on the chest / back. First thing I did with my windproof was cut the wire out.

Noone has mentioned the trusty para smock, sought after so much, alteration of new mtp smocks to para is now offered. Arktis made really good private purchased that were really good.

I had one back in the dim distant but binned it for a sas smock as a. It made me look like a para ( ;) ), b. It took forever to dry and c. Some wag would pull the bum flap down every ten seconds, oh how I laughed. Tough as old boots though and the knitted cuffs were toasty but I wouldn't wear one now for money.

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
Then folk started seeing the design of the American issued kit and the new (PCS is it?) cut is much more featured. The smock borrowed ideas from lots of aftermarket smock manufacturers but like you say is pretty heavy as a result.
The 'new' smock (fleece pockets/mesh etc) was first brought out in DPM.
It was called, SMOCK,WINDPROOF,MODIFIED,MK 2.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
There were various iterations of the Soldier 95 smock which I have seen. I have the temperate version, which I have worn on and off for years, most famously to No. 10 downing street. The only thing I don't like about it, is that it is not particularly waterproof. I have replaced it with a Bergans Morgedal these days as that is more screw-up-and stuff-in-a-bag-able and less military looking.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I wouldn't wear a Para Smock as I've never earned the right to wear one. A pal of mine used to be on 2 Sqn, RAF Regiment & his looks pretty smart & very similar to the old one.

I also quite like a hood as if your sleeping out without a doss bag putting it up keeps you a bit warmer.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I wouldn't wear a Para Smock as I've never earned the right to wear one. A pal of mine used to be on 2 Sqn, RAF Regiment & his looks pretty smart & very similar to the old one.

I also quite like a hood as if your sleeping out without a doss bag putting it up keeps you a bit warmer.

You don't need to earn the right to wear one, you buy one from a surplus store. It was my dad who did his bit as a squaddie who suggested that I should invest in an ex army smock as they are a very practical garment. I have never had any hassle off people who have served in various conflicts who have ever said to me "you should not be wearing that"

Wearing regalia you are not entitled to is an entirely different matter, but surplus is surplus and always has been.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
You don't need to earn the right to wear one, you buy one from a surplus store. It was my dad who did his bit as a squaddie who suggested that I should invest in an ex army smock as they are a very practical garment. I have never had any hassle off people who have served in various conflicts who have ever said to me "you should not be wearing that"

Wearing regalia you are not entitled to is an entirely different matter, but surplus is surplus and always has been.

Yes you're correct, but for me personally as a serviceman I wouldn't wear a Para Smock out of respect of those who served in an airborne unit. I've no bother with other folk (whether civilian or military) wearing what they like.

IfInDoubt

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2013
Up North and Down South
As has been said, the latest MTP smocks have an awful mesh lining (even the chest pockets) which is easily ripped, snags on Velcro gets caught in zips etc, but they do have a few useful features (such as a compass pocket).

All the smocks are made of the same windproof cotton though and as robust as the old arctic windproof smocks. the old CS95 'field jackets' were hoodless and made of a ripstop material which a square matrix like weave to it and despite this felt poorer quality.

As for the fuzzy pockets now - hands IN pockets???? that is enough to have most moustaches twitching among the old and bold. Similar rationale behind the removal of wire from the hoods, hands in pockets with hoods up is not an approved military appearance, however let me tell you that having sat at the top of windy welsh hills waiting for punters to check in I have had my hood unashamedly and firmly up (still with wire in place)

As for the fabled smock, parachutist, why do they only come in the one size - Too Big

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
As has been said, the latest MTP smocks have an awful mesh lining (even the chest pockets) which is easily ripped, snags on Velcro gets caught in zips etc, but they do have a few useful features (such as a compass pocket).

All the smocks are made of the same windproof cotton though and as robust as the old arctic windproof smocks. the old CS95 'field jackets' were hoodless and made of a ripstop material which a square matrix like weave to it and despite this felt poorer quality.

As for the fuzzy pockets now - hands IN pockets???? that is enough to have most moustaches twitching among the old and bold. Similar rationale behind the removal of wire from the hoods, hands in pockets with hoods up is not an approved military appearance, however let me tell you that having sat at the top of windy welsh hills waiting for punters to check in I have had my hood unashamedly and firmly up (still with wire in place)

As for the fabled smock, parachutist, why do they only come in the one size - Too Big
Thats the army sizing rationale isnt it? two sizes, 'fits' and 'never fits'.
I really like the old ripstop jacket actually, I reckon its as good as the windproof, and a better fit than the current windproofs that replaced it and the sas smock. U can also button on a hood, which has the wire lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE