British Army "right handed" machete sheath

The Mounty

Nov 12, 2011
Dagenham, Essex
Hey Guys,

I just got my webtex british army machete with sheath in the post today, very good quality but one problem...its a left handed sheath. I called my supplier, who called the manufacturer and was told they only make left handed sheaths!

I had a browse on the internet to no avail??? Can anyone advise on where to get a right handed sheath for my machete???? Unfortunately im not allowed to post pictures yet (still a newbie)

The Mounty

The man who says "it cant be done" is always interupted by the man who just did it!

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Are you a right hander?

Tradition has a right hander carrying the machete on the left cross-draw. It's an easier draw, keeps the sharp edge pointing to the ground on drawing and leaves the right side clear for slung weapons and holsters.

Oct 24, 2011
I have one too and the simple answer is make your own sheath I made mine from wood I used a pine tung and grove wallboard with a leather thong to make a belt loop and it turned out OK I am a newbie also so no pics sorry
Hey Guys,

I just got my webtex british army machete with sheath in the post today, very good quality but one problem...its a left handed sheath. I called my supplier, who called the manufacturer and was told they only make left handed sheaths!

I had a browse on the internet to no avail??? Can anyone advise on where to get a right handed sheath for my machete???? Unfortunately im not allowed to post pictures yet (still a newbie)

The Mounty

The man who says "it cant be done" is always interupted by the man who just did it!

Last edited:

The Mounty

Nov 12, 2011
Dagenham, Essex
I appreciate the advise but i really like the camo dpm sheath it came with (except its left handed) It is in its own right, a very good quality sheath. (and it matches my backpack!) I'm going to try and contact the manufacturer directly and see if they can custom make one for me, otherwise i will try and make one myself! Thanks again for the advise!

The Mounty

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Is this it?

url

The Mounty

Nov 12, 2011
Dagenham, Essex
Yes! Thats the one, exactly! Have any idea's on a right handed sheath?

Dances With Helicopters: yes I am right handed and the left cross draw only works with a right handed sheath, otherwise when you draw from the left with your right hand the blade comes out of the sheath sharp side up? Unless i have misunderstood the cross draw?

The Mounty

Nov 12, 2011
Dagenham, Essex
Hey Guys, please correct me if I am wrong........?

A knife or a machete sheath is exactly like a gun holster...a right handed cowboy draws is gun with his right hand from his right hip, or wears his right handed holster on his left hip backwards and a little forward and cross draws with his right hand.

The Mounty

The Mounty

Nov 12, 2011
Dagenham, Essex
Yes the machete and sheath pictured below is the exact one I have, I am looking for this exact sheath the opposite way round i.e. mounted on my right hip sharp side facing behind me.

lou1661: it makes perfect sense for the military to "left hip" mount any blade as it is always thier secondary weapon, thier gun being the primary and most people are right handed. As I am not going to war and wont be carrying a gun into the forest I need my machete to be my primary. My whole life I always carried my bushcraft knife on my right hip and my axe on the left or in my pack. I am trying a new thing now: I wear my bushcraft knife around my neck on paracord (soon to be leather) I have never carried a machete before and after seeing in used (Ray Mears / Bear Grylls) I want to try leaving my axe at home and see how I get on. (also because one of my secret spots to practise is DEEP into the thickest prickly scrub i have ever seen!)

The Mounty

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
If you are right handed you will find out (possibly the hard way) that any blade over about 6 or 7" is almost impossible to pull out of a right handed sheath unless you are double jointed.

The Mounty

Nov 12, 2011
Dagenham, Essex
Hello Bushwacker Bob,

You are right! After reading your post I decided to try...and then do some You Tube research!!! (as I said before Ive never carried a machete before, just a knife on my belt and axe in my pack) It seems the best way for a right handed person to carry a machete is on his left hip, then using a right cross to extract. But the sheath still must be a right hand sheath, using my current sheath (left handed) the sharp bit comes out up, running the risk of cutting my left hand (holding the sheath) while extracting. I have seen many right hand sheaths out there, just not the one pictured below for my machete (which I like very much!)

Thanks for the tip Bushwacker Bob!!!

The Mounty

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
"lou1661: it makes perfect sense for the military to "left hip" mount any blade as it is always thier secondary weapon, thier gun being the primary and most people are right handed."

Everyone in the British Army is right handed.............or has a sore face.

The Mounty

Nov 12, 2011
Dagenham, Essex
Hello Guys,

Tinky Pete: well done! cheers! I like these ones, especially the fact they lock your machete in.

However...I took my machete out today for the first time, I thought it could replace the axe and maybe even my knife! Wrong! I really dont like using it, maybe I need practice but I just cant see it replacing my axe! Good for cutting into thick scrub but thats it. I have been using a axe/knife combo in the forest ever since I was old enough to hold one (9 or 10yrs old I think!)

My stepfather was a expert Woodsman (bushcrafter) and was a Forest Ranger and native indian liason in Algonquin Park, the first thing he gave me was my lockblade swiss army knife (which I still have and carry everyday, everywhere) and then my forest axe (which fell through the ice years ago in Lake Huron) Now using the "Ray Mears" forest axe. I dont think i will be bringing my machete into the forest much anymore, unless of course I'm going into a jungle!

Thanks for all your help guys! I will probably buy the sheath "Tinky Pete" suggested and then let it collect dust until the scrubs attack!!

The Mounty

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE