British Army Clasp Knife info

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
Does anyone know anything about the army clasp knives which are made
in Sheffield. The web seems to show a few versions.

I'd like to know if any of the versions have a lockable blade or marlin spike and
if there are any handle variations.

My grandad had one from the war. It was razor sharp and bomb proof and he
hardly used anything else. Always had it with him. No one knows where it is now -
probably thrown out as junk.

Wonder if anyone out there has one or collects them and can offer any info
abut which ones are the real deal and the available variations curently available.

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
Thanks Scruff...I've seen that one and it reminded me of my Grandad's. I've
seen another one which has a different looking bottle opener - I presume this
is a modern variation..

Did you buy a 'genuine' one or had experience with a genuine one?

I always thought my Grandad's knife was an 'old duffer's' knife - a relic from the
past. How I wish I'd paid a bit more respect and attention in those days...He kept it
on a length of fine link chain which he always said he swapped with a German
POW for cig.

I'd like a knife with a marlin spike after recently received Des Pawson book on
knots. I fancy having a blade and a spike together in a handy unit.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
hi you may be able to pick on up fairly cheaply at a car boot sale , as they dont have a pointed blade they are regarded as un cool by the un knowledable

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
A guy at the Midland Game Fair selling ex army surplus usually, quite literally, has a bucket of them selling them for £1 - £2. Many are pretty rusty but a quick fettle with WD40 and a sharpener and you're in business. Thinking about it a bit more, these may be eastern european but they take a god edge.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
The top two knives in scruffs link are the ones that I have seen issued,with and without spike.
Not seen any with the scales fitted or with a lock, this doesn't mean they weren't issue just that I had never seen them in stores.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Goose said:
The top two knives in scruffs link are the ones that I have seen issued,with and without spike.
Not seen any with the scales fitted or with a lock, this doesn't mean they weren't issue just that I had never seen them in stores.

I've got one with marlin spike and black (backerlite?) scales on it but I've not seen one that locks on issue either :)

My normal EDC knife is the same as in Scuffs link.

Bam. :D

(Edit: Yep, I've got the top one in the link as my EDC and the black one I'm talking about is the one fourth down, I believe (but could be wrong) that that one was actually navy issue rather than army ;) ).

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
hi got my knife in front of me its an original 2 ww version it has a 2/34"blade ,can opener and a 3"spike plus with the blade folded there is a fixed screw driver blade. black plastic chequered plates with a copper hoop Itsmarked** w 44 and also goverment mark. this is an carbon steel blade and a great knife i also have one of the "modern stainless steel ones but the bottle opener is broken and i do not think its as good as i said i have seen them at car boot fairs for £5 or so keep your eyes open you never know

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
I don't have one at the moment but my old man has a genuine military one with black chequered grip he got when he was in the sea cadets as a kid.

Its a beast and it dwarfed the shabby one I bought by about an inch.

He's always got it with him and its used on a weekly if not daily basis (probably for at least 40 years!) It holds a great edge and is a real work horse.

I think if its the real thing its worth the pennies....oh and the marlin spike is great....well in my dad's hands :rolleyes:

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
By the look of the the knife, it is the same type I had Whilst in the RAF 73 to 84. They were (and I think) still are standard issue in one man survival kits for aircraft. Wish I'd kept mine now. A friend of mine sells ex military stuff, I'll try and find out if he has any.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
My dad had one of the Bakerlite grip/scales types,must have brought it out of the army with him i guess.It used to facinate me when i was a little lad,dad allways told me it was not for playing with and not to touch it,i did the opposite and took it out one day playing in the local woods,i lost it.Dear old dad was very unimpressed and so was i.Still feel real regret over it too! :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE