British Army Bivy and Groundsheet, Yes or No?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do You use a groundsheet with your army bivy?

• Yes

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • No

Votes: 30 49.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
For me carrying a rollmat is not a no brainer, since I hate how big the things are. I will probably opt for a space blanket or some other small groundhseet. I want everything on the inside of my pack as I walk. :)

A space blanket or ground sheet will not insulate you from the ground in the cold though. A roll mat will, and if it is on the outside of your pack and gets wet, you can still stick it outside of your bivi bag to keep your sleeping bag dry. They don't tend to absorb much water.

If you want something that fits inside your pack, a thermarest or similar tends to be a little more compact.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
A space blanket or ground sheet will not insulate you from the ground in the cold though. A roll mat will, and if it is on the outside of your pack and gets wet, you can still stick it outside of your bivi bag to keep your sleeping bag dry. They don't tend to absorb much water.

If you want something that fits inside your pack, a thermarest or similar tends to be a little more compact.

Yes I'm well aware of that and will be bringing a thermarest regardless. I also said this above. I'll be putting the thermarest inside the bivi as to not roll off of it.

However, a rollmat on the outside in addition to all of this seems a bit excessive. My question was about protection, not insulation. :)

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Cut down IPK and mats various depending on season and how lightweight/low volume I want to go,

PREPER........ :)

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
Issue Bivvy bags are actually quite good despite how old they are, they can get a bit sweaty I find but I can't really say I have ever had a problem, they are pretty durable too, I have had mine nearly 10 years and its still going strong. Def use a roll mat or a thermarest but you can comfortably sleep with nothing else. Good alternative to carrying a group shelter when on the hills if there are only two of you too.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Issue Bivvy bags are actually quite good despite how old they are, they can get a bit sweaty I find but I can't really say I have ever had a problem, they are pretty durable too, I have had mine nearly 10 years and its still going strong. Def use a roll mat or a thermarest but you can comfortably sleep with nothing else. Good alternative to carrying a group shelter when on the hills if there are only two of you too.

But if you are only two, you can;t treat he casualty below head height. With a bothy bag you have access to all the body of the casualty and you are dry too.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
But if you are only two, you can;t treat he casualty below head height. With a bothy bag you have access to all the body of the casualty and you are dry too.

Lets be honest, you are never that far from help in the UK and you can that before you put them in the divvy bag. I don't find bothy bags that good for keeping the heat in personally, and the chances of cold injures are higher up high. I suppose its preference and experience, I do have a bothy bag but only take it for bigger groups.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Lets be honest, you are never that far from help in the UK and you can that before you put them in the divvy bag. I don't find bothy bags that good for keeping the heat in personally, and the chances of cold injures are higher up high. I suppose its preference and experience, I do have a bothy bag but only take it for bigger groups.

I had a group at a climbing Quarry a few weeks ago and when the sun went behind it got very chilly, east coast HAAR. So the 6 kids jumped into an 18man bothy bag, kept them busy for 5mins while I setup the abseil.

If you put them in a bivvy bag with a - twisted ankle, sprained knee, if they have chilled a bit - you can't assess them properly hence the bothy bag as it's over the head and does restrict access.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
I had a group at a climbing Quarry a few weeks ago and when the sun went behind it got very chilly, east coast HAAR. So the 6 kids jumped into an 18man bothy bag, kept them busy for 5mins while I setup the abseil.

If you put them in a bivvy bag with a - twisted ankle, sprained knee, if they have chilled a bit - you can't assess them properly hence the bothy bag as it's over the head and does restrict access.

I can't disagree with you on the fact they are useful, and I do use mine for groups, but if there is just me or only 2 of us I tend to take my divvy bag, I suppose its just what I am used to, I have had to sit out the weather in mine and I prefer it.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I used to use a IPK, then went to a reusualable space blanket but currently using a German ground mat which is just a bit wider than my bivi.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Good evening,

Many bivy bag choice topics here and I've read through most of them, but haven't found one which discusses groundsheets exclusively.

Having bought a brand new British Army bivy which I received today I have two very simple questions:

1. Do you use a groundsheet with your army bivy?
2. Is it good for extra protection or is it just unrequired extra weight?

All opinions welcome! Thanks!

1. No
2. Unrequired extra weight

Used with a basha overhead, I've never had a problem in any weather

PeteD

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
I never used a groundsheet with mine, I just select my bivi spot carefully and pop my thermarest inside. Used this setup in the army and since leaving it and never once had any problems.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE