British army Bergen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Hi there lads /lasses have any of you had any of the bergens from militarysurplus.co.uk ? I am looking at purchasing the grade 1 bergens but as they don't have pictures of the individual bergens it's hard to see what Nick they are in ...av any you,s had a grade 1 Bergen and if so what was it like (condition wise)

I have the dd hammock ruck sack which has never been used (except for taking the kids cross the fields for a pic-Nick ) but when I packed it last night with mine and my sons kit (he's only just took a fancy to camping) i was wishing to my self that it had a little more space (I like to pack a lot lol ) as my son isn't old enough or fit enough to lug his own gear around I was thinking of doing some sort of trade on Bergen or putting the rucksack on eBay and purchasing a Bergen from military surplus

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Any Grade 1 is hit and miss. At the disposal agents they are sorted by the staff and left on shelves or in massive cardboard boxes. You "cash and carry" shop and inspect the goods/bergens as you go, but even with some QC before sale some poor ones get through. There is very, very little unused Grade 1 out there and with the move to MTP the latest stuff being released can be heavily used. They won't knowingly sell you rubbish but it is a possibility. My advice is to place the order in person on the phone and ask the sales person to personally pick the bergen for dispatch.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Buying a British army Bergen is definitely a good move They are bombproof and easily fixed and modified to carry whatever you want

Are there no army surplus stores near you where you could actually inspect the Bergen before buying ? failing that try seeing what come up on here in the classifieds or the selling sites on FB.Car boot sales can also be very productive in areas with a military presence
Prices do vary hugely so do not rush in
You certainly will not regret getting one

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Try Endicotts if you want good grading - http://www.endicotts.co.uk/componen...n-infantry-british-d-p-m-2122-detail?Itemid=0 . But give them a ring and ask what they have that might fit your requirements, perhaps the Dutch Stings http://www.endicotts.co.uk/componen...ck-dutch-l-a-sting-d-p-m-2464-detail?Itemid=0 and possibly even a Cyclops if you want a little larger. They are really helpful.

The Infantry bergen is bombproof, but its well known for not being all that comfortable (there's seemingly a cottage industry in modding them). If your spending £35 or more, then at least try to be comfortable. And dont forget civvy stuff. It will be new, wont be camo (if you dont like that sort of thing), and will generally be lighter and more comfortable. I spotted a Berghaus Torridon in my local Blacks for £65 the other day, and they've got the LA Axiom Elbrus 55-65 for £70 http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/0...om-elbus-55-65l-rucksack-green.html#read_more - entry level but with a decent back system.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Found this on eBay, item 221782001951 It is a green long back version with side pouches. A ruddy bargain at that price. I have one the same age, and it will last the same again.

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Just had a look at that badger looks ok will keep an eye on it as I'm sure the price will rise a bit ..cheers

Shiver

Apr 23, 2012
Belfast
Great pack, if you want to trim the pack size down you can remove the side pouches and zip the sides in to slim it down for lighter loads
I have both long back and short back models and they are as people say, bomb proof.
And good value, but for long haul they can be hard on the body of your not used to them.

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Really hope I win this one so I've got my fingers and toes crossed ....problem is if I dint have bad luck I'd have no luck :( lol

Topcat1308

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2011
Wirral
Issue bergans are designed to sit on top of webbing so the load is on your hips, like any large rucksack. Unless you're wearing webbing, any load over corps weight or say 15kg will be uncomfortable after a while since the weight is hanging off your shoulders so bruises them and strains your lower back.

adding hippo pads or an airborne/Pegasus webbing belt will help comfort....price goes up with these mods now!

then you start to get in price range of second hand berghaus Vulcans which are always the better option.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
A cheap way to get around the hip belt issue with these without wearing webbing is to cut up one of the issue roll mats and wrap sections of it around the green webbing belt to build it up a bit. This helps put the load onto your hips and makes it a good bit more comfortable. Its not a bad idea to check and see if the shoulder straps could do with some more padding since overtime it seems to pack down a bit.

Tonyuk

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Honestly, If you want a hand picked surplus one, call Endicotts tomorrow ( Kev is in store on Fridays )
and ge him to pick you one.
His grading is second to none.

Best.

da C.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE