Brit issue windproof trousers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I usually wear army surplus trousers when I'm out Bushcrafting. I find in winter however their not really warm enough & yet if I wore long johns underneath I would be too warm. The exception to this are my US Army temperate trousers which seem a bit thicker and are more hardwearing.

Sadly these are on their last legs(!) now so I though I would look at other options. I like the look of the Brit issue windproof trousers - I'm guessing these are overtrousers though as they have Velcro on the legs to fit over boots? Anybody used these? Do you wear them next to skin or as overtrousers? Any other thoughts on what their like? Are the sizes oversized or correct? Ta

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Hi, in truth, the windproof trousers are intended as over-trousers, over long johns and/or the old padded trousers ( AKA 'Ho Chi Minh trousers'). The originals, going back to WW2 and up to and including the DPM versions, are made of cotton Gaberdine, so are very comfortable against the skin. I had a pair in modern MPT which are essentially the same design as the DPM ones, Velcro leg openings etc, but made of NYCO mix, still very windproof, but a bit stiffer and not as comfortable, in my opinion.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Thanks Kram, how do you find the sizing? Are you the same size in the windproof's as normal?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I cannot comment on the sizing but these trousers are great worn next to the skin or as overtrousers - over longjohns - being tightly woven cotton.
Mine have been worn to death and are now holey and paint spattered as, once too "tired" for bushy wear they were relegated to DIY and mucky jobs at home :)
Still very comfortable though :)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Thanks guys that answers my questions. I'm surprised they still have the Velcro tabs if lots of guys are wearing them everyday, gives you a few options I suppose though.

Hmm MTP, DPM or desert?:rolleyes:

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Thanks Kram, how do you find the sizing? Are you the same size in the windproof's as normal?

As Widu13 said, the MTP ones do seem to be cut as per regular sizeing. The pair I had fitted well in the waist, but were to 'slim fitting' for comfort. Need to size up ( and wear a belt!!)

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
IMHO if you can find them, the eighties version are the mutts nuts, I'm gussing thats what John's got.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I find that they are slightly bigger than my 'normal' trousers.
I'm a 40 inch waist and a pair of 38 inch MTP windproofs fit just fine.

I have to agree Andy, they are oversized presumably to fit over the thermal pants.

I'm 38 waist and my windproofs look like clown pants because I asked for the same size as my normal trousers.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Yes, I used to have some of the old Gaberdine ones - proper 'Ally'. I think I might try the newer version now though as they get a hammering.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE