Branded Waterproof jackets - Worth the money?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Interesting - I literally told the shop owner "I need something that will keep me dry when I'm working hard outdoors without getting all sweaty and it doesn't need to be warm"
I had an Elite II, and have a Pintail Smock. The Elite was overkill and a right pain to get on and off, being quite long. I’m not sure the Pintail would stand up to all day in the rain, and can get warm on hill walks.

I wouldn’t dismiss Ridgeline, but I think you need to suit the product to your needs. There is a Classic Jacket that might be an option. The Paramo does run warm, but has pit zips that I definitely use if I’m moving about a lot.

Reactions: Billy-o

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Good point ref Carinthia.

I'm now looking at the

CARINTHIA MIG 4.0 JACKET​

But as my body 'runs hot' I'm not too sure about the insulation overheating me.
Decisions , decisions.
Read an article a long while ago am 100% sure they also do a waterproof only coat as well. i.e. no insulation

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Don't forget army surplus.
Well, in this case, RAF and Navy surplus.
You can get either an RAF or Navy goretex jacket for just £30. Good thing is, rather than being in camouflage, they are both dark blue, which means you don't look such a walt in public (if that bothers you).
A goretex jacket for just £30 has got to be a winner, eh?
I have one of the RAF ones and it's perfect.

The main drawback with surplus clothing, is that the average user is young and fit. Which means finding something that is *ahem* 'gentleman-sized' can be a chore.

Read an article a long while ago am 100% sure they also do a waterproof only coat as well. i.e. no insulation
I had two of the MIG's sent my way - I had to send them back as Too warm for me ( I run hot ) and the Noise was quite distracting.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Good idea about raf/navy/police goretex. I used to have a raf version nice and long reminded me of my first goretex coat a berghaus lightning

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire

They do: the TRG which I believe stands for 'Tactical Rain Gear'. It's a very well-designed Goretex jacket with a bit of a chunky price tag.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Carinthia Goretex suits are:

PRG, TRG and a weird "survival rain suit" that's light but nothing else.

Everything else is non waterproof padded clothing, apart from the sleep systems and tents of course.

Most Carinthia products are in direct competition to the British made Snugpak products, mainly softie suits and sleeping bags.

But they make silent hunting stuff as well from Loden.

The survival rain suit obviously follows the philosophy of the well known usual orange and shiny stuff:
Bad constructions that are able to turn every dog walk into a serious survival situation!

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Far too many companies charging shockingly high prices, taking advantage of inexperienced outdoor people, walkers. They say you get what you pay for but that’s not always the case. Many known popular makes aren’t up to the makers hype.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think the Carinthia TRG is so expensive, because it has a relatively sophisticated cut and a faultless make. And it's developed in Austria and made in Slovakia (or perhaps like some of their products in Moldavia). But the main point surely is the price of the Goretex fabric. I think it's made in Germany.

If we look at the sleeping bags and padded clothing, the Carinthia products aren't overpriced, although 100 % made in Europe.
But if we look at the Goretex sleeping bag cover we get a shock. Especially if we are used to the military surplus prices.

But both are made by the same people and offered by the same enterprise. And most of it is bought by the German army (and other NATO armies as well), what means that the stuff isn't overpriced. The German army could also employ other contractors like Gustav Wahler or especially Feuchter, who delivered them thousands of German made Goretex bivvy bags and rain suits.

The TRG was developed together with British special forces. Carinthia built in what they wished. It's quite possible that it's the best military rain suit in the world.

And if you compare in the end the price with Asian made civil products, that's of course a bit more expensive.

An Austrian made Mercedes G / Wolf that's built to the specifications of the Austrian, Swiss and German army is also a bit more expensive than usual Asian pick ups. I don't need it but it's surely not overpriced. Austrian Engineers simply don't serve you for a cup of rice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE