Brake Fluid Flares?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I have been asked a question to which i do not have the answer, anyone here know?

I came acroos this on a web site, Has anyone used it or know this and other uses for brake fluid?

"I take cloth that will fold up and I can seal in a waterproof tobacco pouch. I soak it in brake fluid .. let it dry a little and drop it into melted wax...don’t do it near the heat used to melt wax. Coiled up and lit under correctly stacked wood and fire material...even wet wood, the wood will start to burn and dry itself out."

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/survival.htm

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Guess its possible, If any tinder burns hot/long enough it will dry the wood out... But I aint ever heard of using brake fluid. Been shown that if you mix antifreeze with potassium permangenate and wrap it in paper it will burst into flames. But thats about as far as my automobile based tinder knowledge extends ;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Mix brake fluid and a certain swimming pool additive and it will self combust within ten to thirty seconds, causing a fireball of interesting proportion. Not something I am willing to risk just to light a fire unless it’s a matter of life and death.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Interesting, but I won't be trying it until I break down in subzero conditions with 30 miles or so between me and civilisation and no other kit :rolleyes:
Come to think of it, maybe when I'm older I'll keep a "just in case" kit in my car...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I guess the theory is that the glycol ethers will be very flamable and the wax extends the burn time. These very elaborate and prepared firelighters always make me wonder why not buy a box of firelighters?

Red

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
Dont try the brake fluid with clorine, it highly explosive and well cause major burns.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
British Red said:
These very elaborate and prepared firelighters always make me wonder why not buy a box of firelighters?

Red

I agree.

Most of these chemicals are petrolium derivatives. Liquid or solid firelighters are probably more enviromentally friendly to produce and cheaper.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
The park I used to work in had occasional problems with cars being burnt out in the moor roads.

We were warned (on several occasions) to watch what we were doing if we had to deal with them as the brake fluid became highly corossive when burnt. Eat through your gloves, clothes, skin etc etc.. That may have been an exageration, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
BorderReiver said:
Brake fluid spills in RTCs is more of a hazard than petrol apparently.So the use as a flare fuel seems reasonable.

Yep,
I remember seeing a TV demonstration where petrol was poured onto a glowing red exhaust manifold - it just vaporised off. Brake fluid was the medium that burst into flames when the experiment was repeated. So vehicle fires are caused when the brake fluid "catches" fire and then spreads to any spilt petrol!

Ogri the trog

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yup - I saw that too Ogri.
So brake fluid will spontaneously combust when it reaches a certain relatively low temperature. No spark, flame or ember required. Very dodgy stuff IMO

Cheers
Rich

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Roving Rich said:
Yup - I saw that too Ogri.
So brake fluid will spontaneously combust when it reaches a certain relatively low temperature. No spark, flame or ember required. Very dodgy stuff IMO

Cheers
Rich

Have any of you lot tried bunging brake fluid on a fire?
Can't say I was impressed by its firelighting capabilities.
The DOT number relates to it's boiling point (well with the 3,4 and 5.1 anyway) dot 5 is different stuff altogether as its silicone based instead of glycol based like the 3,4 and 5.1.

Clean DOT 3 has a boiling point of 401F and clean DOT 4 has a boiling point of 446F so they are not exactly that easy to get to flash are they.

5.1 has an even higher boiling point and the one time I chucked some on the fire (I had a jamjar full after bleeding my bikes brakes) it just about put it out.

Theres got to be better ways of lighting fires than that stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE