Braised Chestnuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I found a load of sweet chestnuts at the weekend and thought that I would try something other than just roasting/exploding them.

I based it on an Internet recipe that I can no longer find but did to versions. Posh (aka in the kitchen) and field (aka in the garden). The results were very similar.

The start is the same.

To peel, cut a cross just through the shell on the flat side and boil them for about ten mins then peel of the shells trying to get all of the furry inner layer. If you cannot get it all off don't worry as you are going to boil them again and they should drop off or certainly be able to peel them off easier when they are fully cooked.

Posh
  • Fry off some finely chopped shallots in a little oil (I used peanut with a little sesame to keep with the nut theme).
  • Deglaze with port.
  • Add the chestnuts and cover with chicken stock the stripped leaves from a couple of sprigs of thyme (the stems past it at this time of year).
  • Salt and Pepper to taste.
  • Cover and simmer for about an hour or until the chestnuts are cooked.
  • Strain, wash and peel off any left over inner layer.
  • They are wonderful hot or cold and are much better than salted peanuts with a nice ice cold Fino!
Field
  • Rehydrate some dried onion with boiling water, drain reserving the stock.
  • Fry the onions until they start to brown.
  • Add the onion stock back, thyme leaves (well I was in the garden and that was were I got the thyme for the posh version :D) a chicken stock cube.
  • When the stock cube has dissolved add the chestnuts and top up with water.
  • Cover and simmer for about an hour or until the chestnuts are cooked.
  • Strain wash and peel off any left over inner layer.
  • You just cannot eat one!
Some of them will probably drop or don't look as good so what I did was crushed them (from both batch's) with butter do make some chestnut butter which is great on toasted bread or bannock.

Hope you like them as much as I did.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE