brain tanning tutorial: Gauging interest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Yes please mate. A few of us have a hide in the freezer we want to try brain tanning. Would be goo to have a tutorial to follow.

Chris.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've just resurrected the photos to an old thread showing my first (and, so far, only) attempt at brain tanning buckskin (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31988&page=2&p=416232#post416232). These were the jottings of a novice, so I think that an updated tutorial would be very handy.

I'll look forward to seeing it, as I too have a hide in the freezer, though I was looking for an easier method to process it. Toddy has described a method of washing the hide in the washing machine, followed by softening using hand cream to produce a soft rawhide. Sounds like a lot less work than the full buckskin process.

Geoff

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Well mate, you have had over 300 views and only 13 replies. You may have to walk the walk because the guaging interest has ceased and it is a forum to exchange knowledge not to see if anyone wishes for your knowledge. Turbo girl did an excellent brain tanning tutorial a year or two ago but didn't need to guage interest first.
If you do the tutorial people will read and learn from it. If you cant do it unless you have a certain number of replies to a thread that says nothing, what do you expect folk to do?

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I think the best thing I learned from my experience was to get as much preparation into place first. Nothing I read prepared me for the fact that one essential to get in place might be a divorce lawyer ;) Here's the thread although it's not so much a tutorial as a record of my first attempt and there is lots I would have done differently- but thats the fun of experimentation for you!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE