Brain Drain Moment aka Senior Moment

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Anyone else here suffer from the odd brain drain, ie one of those times when you look at something, you know exactly what it is because you have seen it hundreds if not thousands of times before, but you have a senior moment and for the life of you cannot remember what it is?

Well, i had a massive senior moment today and im still having it, i know what this is, i just cannto remember the name of it, so help me out if you would and put put me out of my misery because this is driving me nuts

What is it?:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

DSCF1271.jpg

Yes i know it's a green leaf:rolleyes:

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Last time I was out I did spend far too long looking for my head torch at dusk (very unlike me, Im normally very organised around camp) - where was it? Yep that's right - around my blumin' head!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
nope, got tons of that in the garden, we give it to the birds in the Aviary.

BTW, the dims are 8 inches long and 2 inches wide at it's widest point

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nope, too big a leaf, im still suffering from senior moments this morning - ARGH it's doing my head in:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Could be an Autumn Hawkbit, they appear round this time of year non uniform lobed leaves non hairy, the flower is like a dandelion but the petals are mor square and neater. They have little leaflets on the flower stalk near the head, or a braked hawks beard but the lead doesn't look pointed enough at the tips for that?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hawkbit or smoething in that line is probably a decent guess. I sort of recognise it, but it isn't something we get a lot of here. Is it a leaf from a rosette at the base, or from a stem?

On the subject of senior moments, last weekend I parked the car next to a stream, grabbed my response pak, crossed the stream to the stile, and realised that I'd left the map in the car. Put the response pak down, crossed the stream to the car. Remembered the keys were in the response pak. Crossed the stream to the stile, got the keys, re-crossed the stream to the car, opened the car, saw I'd left my lunch behind as well, grabbed that, locked the car, crossed the stream and over the stile, realised I still hadn't picked up the map. Back I went, got the map, back across the stream and the stile, and halfway across the field before I realise I'd left my phone in the car.

I didn't go back.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
the leaf is very slightly hairy on the top surface, it was from a rosette of sorts, but more akin to the way a Mullein grows at the base if that makes sense, soil here is chalk, could be a Hawkbit but dunno some thing is not sitting right with it, if you know what i mean.

Guess i will just have to wait until it flowers unless i get a Eureka moment between now and then.

Thanks for trying chaps

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I should add that I struck a match 4 times last night before realising that I was trying to light the wrong end.

That's it, I'm getting my plants book out...

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Right, I've got it down to 3 candidate groups:

Most likely it is a composite, something with dandelion-like flowers, possibly ragwiort or suchlike. Alternatively it is a crucifer, such as wild cabbage or mustard. Less likely is poppy.

Any of those help?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE