braided sling tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Fantastic stuf and a great tutorial for numskulls like me:) - planning on trying this out as soon as i source some good cordage.

many thanks to your better half for the effort much appreciated :)

Cheers

G

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Folks

That really naff, cheapo paracord that noone likes is actually great for making slings with.

Nick

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
i made something similar, with sisal and a bit of old shoe leather, it works well, but am not sure of my method of throwing / slinging, sombody describe a way?
i take the sling and hold it out in frount of me then swing it back behind me then forward again to get the momentum then release.
works great at a pebbly beach!!!

gr8 link btw

thanks
tipi

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Tipi said:
i made something similar, with sisal and a bit of old shoe leather, it works well, but am not sure of my method of throwing / slinging, sombody describe a way?
i take the sling and hold it out in frount of me then swing it back behind me then forward again to get the momentum then release.
works great at a pebbly beach!!!

gr8 link btw

thanks
tipi

Difficult to describe a throwing method. I tend to hold it out in front at arms reach. It's in my right hand. I swing it back to the left, quite forcefully. As it swings past my left leg and upward behind me I bring it over the top and down to my right. It swings very fast now down past my right leg and up over the top on my throwing side (right hand side). As it comes over the top I release.

That's fun for distance competitions. For accuracy though, and I'm still not very accurate I use a side release with a snap at the end. It's finniky so you'd need to see it to understand the flick of the wrist. The side release helps keep the elevation constant and the snap sends it on the correct trajectory.

Eric

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Are there any good tutorial on how to use it? I'm a good marksman with a rifle, but a sling? neer used one. And of course I mean a hypotethical tutorial, I would never use a sling, since there's probably legal issues :rolleyes:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
big_swede said:
Are there any good tutorial on how to use it? I'm a good marksman with a rifle, but a sling? neer used one. And of course I mean a hypotethical tutorial, I would never use a sling, since there's probably legal issues :rolleyes:
Lots of info here it also has video clips of various peoples throwing styles.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
big_swede said:

I always show people a simple underarm technique first - don't go for power just timing when you let go of the knot. When you get that right, take a step forward just before you release.

Then move on to the Apache overarm. This is only half a turn but is a very fast motion for plains hunters where your prey will start to move soon after you do. Again start with stationary feet and then start putting in a lunge forward.

Then the most complex technique I find worth while was shown to me by a Spanish shepherd. Far too complex to describe here in full but it's 1 3/4 turns and the missile comes whistling out. I think it is usually called the Balearic swing.

Health and safety caveat: Practice with juggling balls, bean bags or oranges. Most times using vertical slinging techniques the missile will fly out somewhere in the plane of the swing Where in that plane can be unpredictable.

Am I allowed a little advert here? Mods feel free to remove if I've overstepped. Wayne at Forest Knights and I are thinking about putting together a projectiles workshop next year.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Wow that takes me back, I was really into slings a few years ago after I read the book clan of the cave bear. I made mine entirely out of cord but your way certainly looks simpler, amassing detail to really grate job. I practiced for ages with mine and sometimes I could hit the target dead on but most of the time not, I'll have to dig out my old sling and have a nether go with it.

P.S slings are grate for skimming stones on water if you get the angle rite.

M

mrsfiremaker

Hey everyone. Darrel said I should come up and reply to this. I didnt know he had put a post up here. Im glad to see that everyone liked the tutorial. I also am a member of the other site that was linked in this thread, slinging.org.

Well Im not a very good slinger myself. Even behind me you'd have to watch out for a good 50 yards. :lmao:

One beginner tip that Darrel taught me that I found really useful was to set your projectile in the sling pouch and just swing your arm slowly back and forth, the goal being to keep the projectile in the pouch without it falling out. Then swing it higher and higher. To me its kind of like when you first learn how to swing in a swing as a kid. You have to get the movements timed right with the momentum. When you have a better feel of how this works, then start going around in circles, underarm, overarm, and around your head. Another tip I picked up was instead of starting off right away with a rock, use a tennis ball. This is great if you are just learning about the timing of when to let go. Start off slow with a short sling and close target. This is increase your accuracy. But I must state, Im not very good at any of this yet.

Hope this is also helpful.

Becky

Please come back and show us pics of your slings!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE