Braided Leather knife lanyard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
David Morgan runs a cool company. Here is his link:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/

David Morgan
11812 North Creek Parkway N., Suite 103
Bothell, WA 98011
USA
1-800-324-4934 • Fax: 1-800-364-3961
(425) 485-2132 • Fax: (425) 486-0224

Hours
Our hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time, Monday through Saturday. We are closed major holidays. We can be reached by email at catalog@davidmorgan.com.

I am fortunate to live about 10 minutes from his shop. A truly great guy.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Buckshot

Looks like schwert beat me to it. He is lucky to live 10 mins from the shop because it saves the $15 we pay for shipping. Ho Humm. The lace is great I made a short lanyard last night and the result is really good.

Did you enjoy the Fair, I was there Sat and had a good time. Saw the 'light my fire' stand which had some nice Gransfors and tents but didn't part with the cash, end of the month and all. Don't think Stuart was there and in fact offended the other guys by asking if they were him, oops.

Schwert

David Morgans stuff is great isn't it I would love to go to the shop and stock up. The roo leather is so soft and workable I will use it from no on.

Bill

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
His handcut is primo lace. I have used it for many years and think it is definately worth the cost.

His machine cut from Packer Leather, Australia is also quite nice. A bit less supple, and requires a heavy hand with the braiding grease, but I just started using it and find it good at about 1/4 the cost.

I will still use the handcut for most projects though.

David's product line is unique and interesting. His braidware is absolutely top notch. I have one of his 10 foot bullwhips and it is a treasure. Filson, British moleskins, celtic jewlery, Akubra hats....all the good stuff.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
That's great, thanks guys.
I haven't had much spare time recently so I haven't braided anything yet.

I'll have a look at the David Morgan web site and see what I can get.

Tenbears, yes I enjoyed the fair but really needed at least two days to see all there was to offer.

I looked for Kellam Knives in the list of stand holders but couldn't see them. I presumed Stuart didn't go because of that.
If I'd known his company went I'd have made a piont of looking in.
Perhaps next time...

I wonder if he's going to the Midland Game fair :?: ....

Cheers

Mark

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I was given some proper braiding thong by Espy! :You_Rock_
consequently I am now braiding with great success.
Taught myself a new skill,thanks Schwert and thanks Peter(Espy) :super:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've just done my first project :?: not totally happy with the result, I think I'll do a couple of other things and then have another go.

Still it's all about practice eh?

Cheers

Mark

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Keep going Buckshot. It took me several go's to get a decent finish on the braid but with schwerts knot tutorial they are looking better each time I do a project. It is just a case of fine tuning the basics.

I still need to crack a 6 plat round braid, now that 4 is going well. I've looked at some of the big projects in david morgans book but not yet. The whistle lanyard he suggests worked great though.

Stick with it anyway

Bill

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Schwert, I'm not sure about the pic at the moment because I'm not too proud of it.
I stuggled with the wall and crown knot and can't seem to get the strands to come out properly. I think I'm going to bind the ends together and then put a cover knot on it.

I got David Morgan's book, it's good. I was planning on having a go at the sixteen strand flat to hang my woodlore from but I think I'll do a few other projects first...

Thanks everybody for all your help, it's something I've been meaning to do for a while but didn't know where to start :You_Rock_

Cheers

Mark

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Last night I decided to do another project, a lanyard for my beaters horn.
It's based on project 2 from the Dave Morgan book but instead of having two ends I've woven one back in to form a fixed loop like the end of project 1.
I'm going to post a couple of pictures of both in the gallery if I can figure out how to do it.

See what you think...

Cheers

Mark

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Make sure you do post the pics Mark and let me know how the loop bit goes. I haven't tried that yet, had a look and bottled out of it.

Bill

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Just seen the pics and they look great. Well done. The loop bits are really good, I will have to have another go. Any tips?

Bill

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Cheers TB, :super: can we see any of your projects then? :?:

I must admit I was a little worried about the loop but I read the book a couple of times, still didn't understand it properly so just went ahead anyway and found it wasn't half as difficult as it is to read it. I think the most important thing is to not kink the braid when you bring it round, otherwise it'll never sit properly.
I may put a sliding cover knot on it yet, just for decoration but I must admit, I'm pleased with the outcome. :eek:):

Not totally convinced about the wall and crown knot on the sheath still. I think I'll have another go and change the design a bit. I'm thinking of having another tassle hanging down from the top of the back of the sheath. The reason is when I wear it baldrick style (is that the correct term - under the left armpit, like a shoulder holster?) the sheath covers my belt, which means the braid has to bend up to tuck into my belt to stop the knife from falling forward - which was the original reason for doing it in the first place. I think a hidden braid doing the same job would be less stressfull on the leather and look better. It would be part of the much larger project of replacing the strap so wont be for a while yet. I need to get reasonable with the techniques yet, I want to go from about a 12 strand round briad to a 16 flat plat and back again. Plus work out a way to fix it all to the sheath. :shock:
As I'm writing this, I wonder if it would be possible to do a larger version of a cover knot around the sheath, only with more passes and perhaps thicker lace....Hmmmm.
Otherwise I was thinking of doing a flat plat sideways and taking round the sides to the back, jioning it and then from there turning it through 90 degrees and straight up into the neck strap. What do you think... :?:

Cheers

Mark

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Buckshot said:
Not totally convinced about the wall and crown knot on the sheath still. I think I'll have another go and change the design a bit. I'm thinking of having another tassle hanging down from the top of the back of the sheath. The reason is when I wear it baldrick style (is that the correct term - under the left armpit, like a shoulder holster?) the sheath covers my belt, which means the braid has to bend up to tuck into my belt to stop the knife from falling forward - which was the original reason for doing it in the first place. I think a hidden braid doing the same job would be less stressfull on the leather and look better. It would be part of the much larger project of replacing the strap so wont be for a while yet. I need to get reasonable with the techniques yet, I want to go from about a 12 strand round briad to a 16 flat plat and back again. Plus work out a way to fix it all to the sheath. :shock:
As I'm writing this, I wonder if it would be possible to do a larger version of a cover knot around the sheath, only with more passes and perhaps thicker lace....Hmmmm.
Otherwise I was thinking of doing a flat plat sideways and taking round the sides to the back, jioning it and then from there turning it through 90 degrees and straight up into the neck strap. What do you think... :?:

Cheers

Mark

I will try and post some pics of my recent stuff.

I'm not sure I get exactly what you mean but have you seen Schwert's neck cord on his SLK. It is the one round his neck eairler in this post or search and you will find the thread where he explains the whole thing. I think his is the best for a neck sheath. A flat section behind your neck or over your shoulder then round braid for the main part of the cord.

Bill

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Kind of hard to explain, I have a woodlore knife and sheath with only the one anchoring point for the strap so I need to create another. I thought that by wrapping a plat round the sheath I could interweave and pull it tight, then bring all the laces out the top to start the strap.
Probably no better explained than before :shock:

Probably the best thing would be for me to do it and then show you :yikes: - it just might take a while...

Cheers

Mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm looking for the pattern for the no sew, folded and woven leather knife sheath. I've got some really heavy birch bark I fancy having a try with.
Can anyone recall where I ought to find it?

Came across this thread in my search :cool: Isn't the workmanship excellent ? :D

Cheers,
Toddy

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Toddy.
I suspect that the Birch bark sheath thread I started today might work with the correct leather. There is no sewing at all in it, it's just folding. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I saw yours Fred; nice, very nice. :D

It was your post that put me in mind of the one I'm thinking of. I have a sheet of birch bark instead of the usual strips that we normally manage to obtain and I kept meaning to try the pattern out. I've got a new knife so it seems a good time.....if only I can find the pattern :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE