Braided belt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I made this as a user but got the length completely wrong:slap: instead of being around 34-36 inches, I ended up with 42-44inches::sulkoff:
It's not easy to get the correct length with the braided belts at the best of times but this one-well::nutkick: :D
anyway it's not much use to me, so I thought I might as well see if anyone would like to buy it.
P2190005copyresizedbelt1.jpg

P2190010copyresizedbelt2.jpg

It's made of apx. 4mm veg tan, with a solid brass, flat horseshoe buckle of 1and a quarter inches width. it's hand sewn and stamped for the full length, on all three strands.
I am looking for £35 including postage

I would also consider a trade for 9mm firesteel blanks!

Thanks for looking
R.B.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Very nice belt, bet that took some time?, I like the tooling.

Simon.

rancid badger

well i think thats a cracking belt there, would be interested but to big for me,bound to be some one here who it will fit though.

bernie

Cheers Bernie, the really silly thing is that I never once checked the length after cutting the slits!
I started on the stamping etc. got carried away and was pleased with it till I tried it on!:rolleyes:

My first one was also a bit big but it goes nicely over the top of winter gear as a carrier belt, for hatchet, knife and pouch. It also serves as a shoulder strap when required.

I'm wondering if i should just go ahead and finish it ( dye and carnauba) as it looks a bit "surgical appliance pink" at the moment!:D

Thanks again Bernie

Steve

rancid badger

Very nice belt, bet that took some time?, I like the tooling.

Simon.

Thanks Simon.

Well it took about 5 hours in total but that was over two evenings. The braiding is getting easier, requiring less frequent reference to the book but I need to work on estimation of sizes etc.:rolleyes:

This is also the first bit of leather I haven'tdone with carving tools etc. I used a size7 overstitch wheel and stamps.

If no one wants it, I'll change the buckle for a west end and use it as a shoulder strap.:D

anyway, thanks again

Steve

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
That is a very pretty belt, but far too big for me. Out of curiosity, wouldn't it have been easier to dye and wax it after you'd cut the slits but before you braided it? I like the way that the thicker leather allows the braid to lie flat - when I do it with thinner leather (1mm) it tends to curl up. And I too need to start recording lengths when I braid because I end up with not enough or too much! :rolleyes:

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
As mentioned before - a very nice belt, but too big for me.

I don't understand how it's even possible to make something like that - but it looks great!

rancid badger - If you are after some 9mm firesteel blanks I'm doing a group buy on them at the moment.

rancid badger

That is a very pretty belt, but far too big for me. Out of curiosity, wouldn't it have been easier to dye and wax it after you'd cut the slits but before you braided it? I like the way that the thicker leather allows the braid to lie flat - when I do it with thinner leather (1mm) it tends to curl up. And I too need to start recording lengths when I braid because I end up with not enough or too much! :rolleyes:

Well it would probably be easier to do it that way, although, quite often I find the dye stiffens the leather a bit and this might make it even more difficult to braid.

The actual reason however, was because I was going to do it "british tan" but hadn't bought the dye in advance!. I'm hopelessly impatient in a warped kind of way, once I get started, I like to keep going but, conversely, it takes a wad of patience ( for me) to do the braiding in the first place!

Oh lordy!

Thanks for looking
Steve

rancid badger

As mentioned before - a very nice belt, but too big for me.

I don't understand how it's even possible to make something like that - but it looks great!

rancid badger - If you are after some 9mm firesteel blanks I'm doing a group buy on them at the moment.

It's not that difficult, but I can't do it without the book at hand! Saying that it's getting easier, at least as far as remembering what to do but the state of finger tips after the braiding is something to behold!

I saw your group buy, but have little spare cash floating around atm! I will probably use the proceeds from the belt to pay for firesteel blanks!

unfortunately, it looks like it might prove too big for anyone!

It may well be bound for a career as a shoulder strap!

Thanks again
Steve:D

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I suspect there may be someone out there who seriously craves that belt, but who is just too ashamed to admit they are that obese. Maybe a shoulder strap would be the better option.

Incidentally, when I'm doing these, I measure as for a normal belt, then add two inches to allow for loss of braiding length and go from there.

Eric

rancid badger

I suspect there may be someone out there who seriously craves that belt, but who is just too ashamed to admit they are that obese. Maybe a shoulder strap would be the better option.

Incidentally, when I'm doing these, I measure as for a normal belt, then add two inches to allow for loss of braiding length and go from there.

Eric

Cheers Eric:rolleyes:
I'll have to give it another go.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Surely you can still use the belt by putting the pin of the buckle between the braids? You may then want to change the tip of the belt to make it look like it is meant to be that way though.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That is the blade after engraving as you can plainly see! Told you it was good! Bernie, I sent RB a pic before the engraving but now that I have the new camera I hope to get some more shots of it. Just gotta figure out how it works first!

I like the way you've made it dual use there RB, I seem to recall that one of our heroes in the Lord of the Rings films had a braided belt and put the pin through the braids, so it wasn't quite my idea! If you are watching them any time soon, I believe it was Aragorn (no, not you Alan!) at the Battle of Helms' Deep when he is getting ready for a good scrap!

Nice one!

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE