boy beats-up bear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
:shock: Gotta give the kid credit for sheer guts! (The right move is to play dead with a bear, if I recall correctly??)

Well, now I guess they'll run a camp for emotionally-troubled bears! :eek:):

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Depends on the bear. Playing dead is said to be best for grizzly and brown bears. They will attack to drive away a percieved threat. Once the threat is no longer threatening, they wander off.

Black bears don't go for as many people, but I have read, in numerous places, that when they do attack it is with preditory intent and you should fight like hell.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I think it really does depend on the bear, just like it does with people. I got a 'scratch' from a black bear last summer when we suprised each other, it lashed out and scarpered, and i just scarpered :lol:

Of the 200 odd I've seen I think this was the only one to show any sort of reaction to me passing thru apart from several having the un-nerving look of a very big (and black) west highland terrier wanting to play...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hey Nick, where were you. Sounds like you take some pretty cool trips! :-D

To clarify "attack", this is when the bear is standing there and chewing you. :shock: :-? :-D

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Most of my travels in bear country have been in BC, Canada but this particular episode happened on a fantastic idyllic beach on Vancouver Island. Got close to quite a few over the time I was on the island :lol:

All the bears on the island were black bears which at least made ID'ing them easy :lol: tho seen brown and grizzly in my travels. Hoping to go up North to see polar bear someyear soon.

I was hoping to see a cougar but saw sod all traces of them... which is good in a way as they're considered considerably more dangerous to meet.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
a first rate book on Bear attacks is "bear attacks and their avoidance"

it goes into great detail on each type of bear attack giving some scary case histories. i will dig out the isbn when i can find it.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Predatory mammals such as wolves, bears and that obnoxious bipedal one share one evolutionary adaptation; individual personalities. More people are killed by common black bears than the grizzly and it's big coastal and kodiak brown bear varient. The animals are condidtioned by experience and simple need. Most attacking bears are either stressed older animals ( such as the one that killed Timothy Treadwell and his GF) or inexperienced adolescents. Many 'killer' bears in their prime usually pack multiple gunshot wounds by sloppy hunters. I saw a so called kodiak rogue's post mortem. The poor animal carried no less than 14 bullets ranging from heavy .30, .338 and .375 calibers. Not one of these wounds was even life threatening. A bear will also defend a nearby food cache and a sow with cubs is perhaps the most dangerous of all.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
They killed it because it chewed someone! According to that story, they found the bear in another camping area, so despite being blasted with an air horn and pepper spray she still didn't think that people were all that scary. She sounds like a hungry bear, and she was associating people with food, and possibly as food.

There are programs that try to educate problem bears by chasing with dogs and hitting them with 12 guage bean-bag rounds. Last I heard that was working well. But those were bears that had stopped short of biting anyone.

Just think of the storm that would errupt if someone (say a child who can't punch very hard) was killed by a bear that was known to have attacked others, but had just been left alone?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE