Boxing Day Bimble

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
This has become a bit of a tradition for Eldest and i over the years, regardless of the weather we go for a bimble on Boxing day, one - so we can clear our heads, two - so we just get away from it all for a few hours, we always walk the same route as well.

So heading down the lane, a familiar sight, but looking a bit sparse at this time of year, still, you have to be out there at all times of the year and in all weathers to truly appreciate and understand the vagaries of nature

DSCN1711.jpg

as we walked down the lane we saw a Kestrel perched on top of a telegraph pole, it then shot off into the Mangold field and came back up again with a small vole or shrew in it's talons, it returned to he pole and started it's meal, as we approached though it flew off, but through binoculars you could see it's meal tightly grasped below

There were a few edibles to had, such as these Chives

DSCN1713.jpg

and the fresh Alexanders

DSCN1715.jpg

bit further down the path and a familiar view of Cissbury

DSCN1720.jpg

looking back towards home

DSCN1722.jpg

nearly at the end of this particular path and in the vicinity of my Sit Tree

DSCN1723.jpg

some of the other locals, we ate his brother on Christmas day, perhaps that's why he is giving us the evil eye

DSCN1725.jpg

walking through the Beech plantation which was totally devoid of any animal life, sometimes we get to see a Deer or two in here, but not today

DSCN1727.jpg

on the homeward path now, the black shadow in the field is a huge flock of Starlings, we get these flying in the huge flocks over home, it's incredible to watch as they fly around in one huge, black fluid mass.

DSCN1732.jpg

Walking through the trees at the Ring

DSCN1738.jpg

DSCN1739.jpg

and then finally on the homeward section and a glorious sunset out over the English Channel

DSCN1740.jpg

then back home to yet more sausage rolls, Cheeselets and dry roasted peanuts, still it was nice to be out and about again.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
You obviously had a great time on the bimble.
You didn't mention the nice looking nettles for making tea, my favourite.
Cheers for posting.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers peeps, it was a cracking walk, we saw loads and learnt a bit, like when the Starlings were just about to fly as a huge group, they went deadly silent for 2-3 seconds and then whoosh, off they went

@hugo: nettle tea = :yuck:, you can have the water as tea and i'll eat the nettles, btw they are the White Dead Nettle (Lamium album)

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Great pix. Its amazing how green everything still is, we've had a couple of frosts but the primulas and pansies are still in bloom.

I thought about making some nettle beer and did some searching of tinternet - some posts mentioned that their brew smelt of vomit - instead of saying they must have done something wrong, they were told it's an aquired taste - yuk!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE