Bows and Arrows for the Cub Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Spent the day, yesterday, making bows and arrows for the Cub Pack, and just wanted to say that the tutorial by Dick Baugh on this link for fletching using Duct Tape worked really well :You_Rock_

Thanks, the kids love 'em....and so do their parents ;)

allanscot

Apr 15, 2005
Scotland
Cheers for the link, I was going to make my cubs do this at camp next weekend by taping on cardboard. This looks much easier :D

Did you get them to make the bamboo bow or just go with a branch?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
allanscot said:
Cheers for the link, I was going to make my cubs do this at camp next weekend by taping on cardboard. This looks much easier :D

...And they don't interfere with the flight of the arrow.

I used garden canes for the shafts (was going to use dowling but that's quite pricey)

Used Hazel staves for the bows. Bit green, but good enough for them to get some immediate use :twak:

Have fun :)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have used fern stems to make lightweight arrows with for my kids, not perfectly straight but lots around, easy to pick, little preperation needed and little chance of them causing damage.
They wouldn't work for "proper"archery targets but for the cordination they seemed to work fine.

Dennis Mapletoft

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2005
MELTON MOWBRAY / Leics
Privet makes a good cheap arrow, it tends to have some longish straight sticks in the hedge near the ground, it will last a bit longer, But it is a bit more UNforgiving if Johny shoots Alan, not that they would :beerchug: Yours Den

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Dennis Mapletoft said:
But it is a bit more UNforgiving if Johny shoots Alan, not that they would :beerchug: Yours Den

The Cub Pack get their hands on the finished articles tonite... :aargh4: Mind your heads everyone ;)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
For an ultra safe throwing spear I have come across tubes of insulation for pipes with some cardboard fletchings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE